2 stroke vs a 4 stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.

PISTONESAL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What are the opinions on a 2 stroke vs a 4 stroke. Even though old a lot of people say 2 stroke is the way to go. All comments welcomed. looking to buy a new 4 stroke or save money and get a used 2 stroke.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I vote 2 stroke. Better power to weight ratio. HP to HP, the 2 stroke has better holeshot and faster acceleration. No messy oil changes(not counting gear case). Smoke help keep Mosquitos at bay. Has a nice snarl on acceleration. Fewer moving parts to wear or break.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
up to you. I personally love the smell of a two stroke running at full song.

as for 2-stroke vs 4-stroke, it comes down to how you use the boat
  • for just putting along on a pontoon boat and carrying on a conversation, 4-stroke would be my preference
  • for fuel economy, 4-stroke would be my preference
  • for ease and cost of maintenance, 2-stroke without question
  • for a motor that I needed to pull off the transom and toss in the back of a car/truck, 2-stroke would be my preference
  • for a light weight motor, 2-stroke would be my preference
  • for a motor that has a higher power to weight ratio, 2-stroke would be my preference
  • for a motor that I can leave fuel in the carb without it getting gummed up from sitting for a few months, 2-stroke would be my preference.
  • for a new motor with a warranty, you can only get 4-strokes in the US
  • Some lakes no longer allow 2-strokes
I can buy a lot of used 20-30 year old two-strokes and fuel for what a new 4-stroke costs.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Almost all lakes still allow 2 strokes but they have to be the E-Tec or Optimax variety that are injected. Even Lake Tahoe which was one of the first lakes to severely limit 2 strokes still allow those.

The extra maintenance of my 4 stroke takes me an extra 20 minutes annually. That is not an issue.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How much will you use the motor, what are the planned uses and what horsepower are you looking for? Got a rough budget number?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
What are the opinions on a 2 stroke vs a 4 stroke. Even though old a lot of people say 2 stroke is the way to go. All comments welcomed. looking to buy a new 4 stroke or save money and get a used 2 stroke.

What are you talking about? Is this a high HP engine or a "kicker" used once in a while or on a inflatable etc?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
for a new motor with a warranty, you can only get 4-strokes in the US
Some lakes no longer allow 2-strokes

Evinrude E-tec is a 2 stroke, sold in the US and it is usable in all lakes. It has met or exceeded all of the EPA and California Emissions Standards

boobie

Supreme Mariner
I always have and will still vote for the 2 stroke. Only been a mechanic and certified tech for about 50 years.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
IMO the choice between 2 cycle and 4 cycle Outboards is more complicated than number of cycles. Carborated 2 cycle outboards are a different animal than either 4 cycle or 2 cycle direct injected outboards.

4 cycle outboards have been perfected. 2 cycle direct injection outboards like Optimax and e-TEC have also been perfected. The difference in price, fuel economy and maintenance between new 4 cycle and 2 cycle direct injection OBs is minimal. For a new motor, I would choose either.

If buying a used outboard, and price is the driving factor, a carb'd 2 cycle motor will be the cheapest, but cannot be used on some bodies of water. It will cost far less than a new OB, but use more fuel. Maintenance costs is far less as well.

IMO, with normal seasonal use, a carb'd 2 cycle OB will not use enough extra fuel + oil to make up for the difference in price compared to a new outboard. So if you choose to buy a newer 4 cycle or 2 cycle DI motor, you are doing that for the dependability of a new motor, and ease of servicing.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Love the 2 stroke personally, but understand the reasoning behind a 4 stroke.
Mine really important thing to bare in mind, if you mean as a main engine.....many people make the mistake of replacing like for like from old 2 stroke to new 4 stroke.
Eg....if a 1980’s boat is originally rated as max HP 100hp....this will mean a 2 stroke 100hp. Don’t make the mistake of thinking you can put a 100hp 4 stroke on it. There is a huge difference in weight.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
In that case remove 1 adult boater from combo if thinking the extra 4 strokes weight will be an issue..

Happy Boating

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I've been an Evinrude guy since the beginning. The main on one of my boats, and the kicker on another, are 'Rude carbed 2 strokes. One is 64 years old and the other only 34. Neither has ever been torn down and both run just fine.

I have no experience with an ETec outboard, and I never will. Not because I don't like a 2-stroke, not because I don't like Evinrude, but because of service availability. There are more than a dozen OB dealers in my area. One is a Yamaha dealer that carries Evinrude as a sideline (he was a Johnson dealer since the 1940's). ALL the other dealers carry only Mercury.

Last year I bought 2 Mercs - both the main and kicker are 4-strokes. That was all it took for me. They run so quiet, start instantly, run smooth and the fuel consumption is awesome. I had a 25 2-stroke on a 400 pound boat, now a 60 4-stroke on a 950 pound boat. The fuel consumption is about 15% less, with 50% faster speed.

Of course my comparison is between carbed and fuel injected. I'm sure an ETec runs real fine, as well as a DI Merc. After a year of not having to mess with oil I'm sold. The Fall oil change only took about 10 minutes.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
In that case remove 1 adult boater from combo if thinking the extra 4 strokes weight will be an issue..

Happy Boating

You are probably kidding on right ? It’s the weight on the transom that’s the problem !

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Why is it that boaters likes to beat up , demonize 4 strokes OB's. If weight were the issue nobody would be buying them. I see more each time, boaters replacing previous 2 strokes models by same 4 strokes models while maintaining same HP.... One story is when boat floats by itself, other when on plane at speed. So ?

Happy Boating

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Why is it that boaters likes to beat up 4, demonize 4 strokes OB's. If weight were the issue nobody would be buying them. I see more each time, boaters replacing previous 2 strokes models by same 4 strokes models while maintaining same HP.... One story is when boat floats by itself, other when on plane at speed. So ?

Happy Boating

I never did it and don't know anybody else that did, so I can't answer your question.

Could it be that the dealer recommended it, the person just didn't know any better, or in some cases the previous 2-stroke already met the max HP on the capacity plate?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Might explain why people need 175 - 200 hp to learn basic waterskiing, the 4 strokes just don't have the torque to pull up skiers

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Well, that's maintaining say max HP transom rated for. 4 strokes difference weight compared to same 2 strokes OB's is around 20-25% more depending on model and make.. Personally deslike 4 strokes OB's as I'm a 2 strokes lover, Like the simplicity of maintanance, having fewer parts, less weight if in need to remove OB from transom.

That I know from people that likes skiing, you should ski only with a driver, a spotter if need and the skier while OB revs towards max wot rpm range or slight over it. Would you say that a 4 strokes OB used for skiing propped right for max wot rpm range won't perfrom same as a 2 strokes OB with same HP ?

Happy Boating

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Might explain why people need 175 - 200 hp to learn basic waterskiing, the 4 strokes just don't have the torque to pull up skiers
You may want to explain why you think that since HP is a function of RPM and torque.

If you are saying a 2 stroke has more torque at lower RPM than a 4 stroke given the same HP rated engine, then maybe I believe you.

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I should have put in the point of 'Same/Equal' HP, the 2 stroke would have the skier up, made one loop of the course/lake before the 4 stroke could get the skier out of the water

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
I should have put in the point of 'Same/Equal' HP, the 2 stroke would have the skier up, made one loop of the course/lake before the 4 stroke could get the skier out of the water

Would that apply for 2-4 strokes OB's running same HP while both run at its max wot rpm range with maximized props ?

Happy Boating

Status
Not open for further replies.