Riser inspection frequency

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
As a rule of thumb, how often does everyone pull and inspect their risers/manifolds?

I just replaced mine a year ago, and although I do see some salt/brackish water I'm sure they're fine and I understand I should anticipate a 3-5 yr lifespan if properly flushed/maintained.

But as for inspecting them, is it something others do annually? Every other year? How often?

I figure gaskets and an hour of time is cheap insurance, but just trying to get a gauge on the frequency.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I’m in salt water and would pull and inspect them at 5 seasons use, or sooner if I see rust stains on the outside of the manifold/elbow joint or hotter running than normal. I keep an IR temp gun on the boat and check this regularly. After 5 seasons I’d expect to have to replace the elbows at least if not both the elbows & manifolds. When I had the OMC one piece V6 manifolds I found they would start to clog after 5/6 seasons in salt but they were not leaking internally. However while some will dig out the rust and re-use them it’s risky because the rust, used to be cast iron!

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm in salt also and 3-5years is about all you get, now in fresh it's a whole new game. I boated in the rivers up north from 1975-76 till 2001 with four different boats, 3 of which were stern drives an never once had a problem and back in those days I was far less concerned about that stuff

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
I’m in salt water and would pull and inspect them at 5 seasons use, or sooner if I see rust stains on the outside of the manifold/elbow joint or hotter running than normal. I keep an IR temp gun on the boat and check this regularly. After 5 seasons I’d expect to have to replace the elbows at least if not both the elbows & manifolds. When I had the OMC one piece V6 manifolds I found they would start to clog after 5/6 seasons in salt but they were not leaking internally. However while some will dig out the rust and re-use them it’s risky because the rust, used to be cast iron!

So do you guys only inspect them at the 5 yr/season mark? No sooner?

I figured by then, they'd be toast and if you're pulling to inspect you may as well just replace...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That’s what I did with my OMC is one piece batwings and changed them at 5-6 seasons. Never had water leaking into a cyl before that time frame. If you see any sign of a leak at the joint, an increase in elbow temp (sign of clogging), or rust on the spark plug electrodes for sure change em sooner.