Hydrofoil on i/o

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post
    Its also easier to drink your beer if you let it wander....
    Problem is, Henry Handcuff might blame the beer on your wandering, and that is a whole pile of Legal Problems

Comment

Originally posted by jimmbo View Post

I have an 18 1/2 ft with an even heaver V8, I think it does well with no Tabs or Whale Tail/Doelfin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WBf2D0103Y
      'ya sort of missed my entire point. Had nothing to do with top speed or acceleration. What is your minimum GPS speed to remain cleanly on plane? If you have a 3 blade prop, I bet it is in the mid 20's. A 4 or 5 blade might get you to low 20's. Smarttabs will get you to high teens on a 3 blade.

(might not seem like an important point of performance, but I pull kids wakeboarding and tubing. mid 20's is too fast for either)
      Last edited by H20Rat; September 10th, 2019, 07:31 AM.

Comment

My lowest clean planing speed is 21-22 mph. No Tabs or funny Fins. My current prop is an Enertia, a 3 blade
        Last edited by jimmbo; September 10th, 2019, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JGJR View Post
          Thanks for the responses. WOT RPM 4500, 46 MPH on GPS. 14.25" 21p 3 blade aluminum Turning Point. The boat came with a 3 blade stainless 23p (Mirage, I think?) that has some chips and a small crack in one blade, so I replaced it and haven't gotten around to having it fixed yet. I have a wakeboard tower that also came installed on the boat, so I'm guessing the extra drag will skew my numbers a bit.
          But the improved wake crossing sounds promising.
          How fast did you go with the 23p? I have a ss mirage that came with the boat that I never used. Currently I have a AL 14x19 and get around 42mph at 4500.
          https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...4-3-block-swap

1990-4-3-century-2000-floor-transom-stringer-upholstery-project

Comment

Originally posted by JGJR View Post
            Thanks for the responses. WOT RPM 4500, 46 MPH on GPS. 14.25" 21p 3 blade aluminum Turning Point. The boat came with a 3 blade stainless 23p (Mirage, I think?) that has some chips and a small crack in one blade, so I replaced it and haven't gotten around to having it fixed yet. I have a wakeboard tower that also came installed on the boat, so I'm guessing the extra drag will skew my numbers a bit.
            But the improved wake crossing sounds promising.
            How fast did you go with the 23p? I have a ss mirage that came with the boat that I never used. Currently I have a 4 blade AL 14x19 and get around 42mph at 4500.

I have a whale tail on it too that came with the boat. Still have to try out without it. I bought smart tabs too but I'm not sure they will work on mine since the transom has a 30degree angle

Comment

Originally posted by QBhoy View Post
              Totally and utterly against such a thing...but it is good for staying on the plane at lower speed if you are into wake boarding. Only slight advantage I’ve seen.
              I have "Tabs" on my boat too but they're not all that "Smart" I guess. They're Bennett Sport Tabs. And completely adjustable.

I will say that they do whatever you want them to as far as controlling roll (with that slightly over-weight person on the wrong side of the boat)

They'll also help reduce the bow-rise when trying to go slow and just below the point where the hull planes, for wake-boarding.

If they're down for high speed running, they just add additional drag, slow the top speed and require you to compensate by pushing the right arm further into the "gas-burn zone", and trimming the drive out slightly.......... Not much advantage there.

Smart Tabs are not adjustable (on-the-fly that is) so they're always like dragging anchors....

If you have hydraulic trim (drive-trim) I don't see much advantage in spring-loaded boards hanging off the back of the boat pushing on the water all the time.
              Last edited by HT32BSX115; September 10th, 2019, 06:38 PM.
              1987 FourWinns 211 Liberator, Re-powered in 2006, replacing the OMC 460 with a 1997 Mercruiser 7.4L+Bravo III

2003 Zodiac Zoom + Tohatsu 9.8 4-stroke

Comment

Originally posted by HT32BSX115 View Post
                I have "Tabs" on my boat too but they're not all that "Smart" I guess. They're Bennett Sport Tabs. And completely adjustable.

I will say that they do whatever you want them to as far as controlling roll (with that slightly over-weight person on the wrong side of the boat)

They'll also help reduce the bow-rise when trying to go slow and just below the point where the hull planes, for wake-boarding.

If they're down for high speed running, they just add additional drag, slow the top speed and require you to compensate by pushing the right arm further into the "gas-burn zone", and trimming the drive out slightly.......... Not much advantage there.

Smart Tabs are not adjustable (on-the-fly that is) so they're always like dragging anchors....

If you have hydraulic trim (drive-trim) I don't see much advantage in spring-loaded boards hanging off the back of the boat pushing on the water all the time.
                Hi
                totally agree with you on this case. Bennet and such adjustable tabs are great things on cruisers. Especially us ones with not ideal seating and heavy bias to the rear with fuel etc.

Comment

Originally posted by HT32BSX115 View Post

Hi
                  totally agree with you on this case. Bennet and such adjustable tabs are great things on cruisers. Especially us ones with not ideal seating and heavy bias to the rear with fuel etc.
                  Ive had these very tabs on a bayliner and a sealine.
                  Just maybe the smart pressure operated tabs, I’m not such a big fan on.
                  Never needed them on sealine, being such a powerful and well balanced U.K. sea boat, bayliner...used them all the time.

Comment

A 4 blade that creates stern lift I've been on a plane in my last two boats in the upper teens by gps. This was with Michigan vortex aluminum and two different merc stainless 4 blades vensura and revolution 4

Comment

Well, an update. Installed the smart tabs, removed hydrofoil. AMAZING difference. Much less bow rise, nearly eliminated the wander, planing speed down to about 15 mph. I've had the boat out twice since the install, and early this morning the wind was up, making the lagoon choppy. Felt like I added about 6 feet of hull, much more manageable across confused waves and large wakes from the numerous big (to me) cruisers I encountered. It really does feel like shocks in the back. I imagine, were I more experienced at this, the improvement would not have been as striking, but I'm very happy with the results.

As to the top speed with the 23p, I haven't had it repaired yet and only had it on for the first run, and I didn't bother with top speed as I was just getting the feel of the boat.

Comment

Mine is pretty banged up too. Will hopefully try it out and see if it is worth fixing before winter. Not sure if west marine fixes props

Comment

Working...
                        X