Climbing into the bilge?

Skyhog

Seaman Apprentice
Dumb newbie question. Any reason I can't or shouldn't climb into the bilge of an I/O to work on it? I assume it will hold my weight just fine but haven't been back there before...

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Ya do what ya gotta do to fix things,.....

Just be careful ya don't trash the things yer not tryin' to fix,......

I spend probably 1/2 of my days crawlin' through bilges, 'n motor boxes,.....

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Exactly what Bondo said. Don't step on anything you don't want to fix!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Just watch out for raw fiberglass edges/shards. Those things are needle sharp and can inflict some amazing pain! Also beware of grease/oil. It is easy to track it into the rest of your boat if you start sticking body parts into the bilge.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Most of our access questions are about not having any and needing longer multi-jointed arms or eyeballs on stalks.

You are one lucky guy, just use care as said in the earlier replies.

harringtondav

Commander
If you can fit into your bilge w/o removing the aft half of the interior, you are indeed lucky. Ditto on above precautions.

Skyhog

Seaman Apprentice
Unfortunately, I can fit in the bilge, but not without draping myself over the backseat. Taking the backseat out seems like a ton of work for just replacing a bilge pump, but that may be where I need to go.

Very helpful info guys - I was concerned that the fiberglass was not meant to hold a person's weight (hence the need for a floor elsewhere) and that I'd go crashing through the bilge to the trailer below if I tried.

I'm totally not looking forward to crawling in there though.

Bondo

Staff member
I was concerned that the fiberglass was not meant to hold a person's weight (hence the need for a floor elsewhere) and that I'd go crashing through the bilge to the trailer below if I tried.

Ayuh,..... The hull holds a motor that's over 500 lbs,.....

If you weigh more than that, it's doubtful yer crawlin' into the bilge, anyways,....... ;)

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
Unfortunately, I can fit in the bilge, but not without draping myself over the backseat. Taking the backseat out seems like a ton of work for just replacing a bilge pump, but that may be where I need to go.

Very helpful info guys - I was concerned that the fiberglass was not meant to hold a person's weight (hence the need for a floor elsewhere) and that I'd go crashing through the bilge to the trailer below if I tried.

I'm totally not looking forward to crawling in there though.

It might be a lot of work, but in the long run it will be worth it. If you try and "cheap out" it will come back and bite you in the butt!!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Ahh it’s a necessary evil of inboard engine boats...I re configured my boats interior to make the seats easy to remove, in 10 min I can have it all out and then it’s wide open.
if you have a tight bilge and you’re a big guy just make sure you can get OUT, after you get IN! Don’t laugh guys have gotten stuck between engines!

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Yeah, for me, getting is a chore, but getting OUT is really tough. I always make sure my cell phone his handy so I can call someone to help extricate me if I get stuck.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Ahh it’s a necessary evil of inboard engine boats...I re configured my boats interior to make the seats easy to remove, in 10 min I can have it all out and then it’s wide open.
if you have a tight bilge and you’re a big guy just make sure you can get OUT, after you get IN! Don’t laugh guys have gotten stuck between engines!

Current boat (Hurricane deckboat) has a flip-forward engine hatch where the back seat and sundeck hinge forward... Best thing ever! I can open it up and basically sit comfortably right in front of the engine, eyes roughly level with the carb, and feet down in the bilge.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
FWIW, the bottom of your hull is stronger than you think. in my boat its about 5/8" thick in most spots in the bilge and the hull sides are 3/8" thick.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4pl2e40z9ronopq/winterize 015.JPG?dl=0

This is an old pic from 2007 when I had re-done the deck and re-configured the rear seats so they could easily come out without too much hassle. I had a wide bench seat full width originally but got a pair of pontoon seats 36" wide and make them fit, they can both be removed or only one if I just have to get into one side. The wood bulkhead behind the seats is hinged with a take apart hinge so it opens like a door when the seats are out.