Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Private Messages

We are aware of a current issue where your messages screen does not properly load and we are working on a fix.

In the interim, you can access you messages by navigating to this link: https://forums.iboats.com/privatemessage/notification

Apologies for the inconvenience.
See more
See less

Choosing an engine to replace 3.7(Long)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pay to have the motor balanced if you need to rebuild

New crank is about same cost as reconditioning your current. However it could simply be ujoint knock vs rod knock

carb spacer helps low to mid range
    Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Doubt i could get that lucky. Have the receipt from when the drive was serviced including new bellows last spring.

Comment

One plus I see there on the one in the boat is that appears to have closed cooling, if not full of rust it may be worth a rebuild vs another raw water cooled engine out of another boat...
        1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
        4.3 OMC Cobra

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
        07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

"While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

Comment

Originally posted by Lou C View Post
          One plus I see there on the one in the boat is that appears to have closed cooling, if not full of rust it may be worth a rebuild vs another raw water cooled engine out of another boat...
          It has closed cooling and a cabin heater. Need to figure out how to put the cabin heater in the boat its all going into I have never seen rust/corrosion be a problem on trailerd boats around here. Fresh water for hundreds of miles.

Had the bad engine started up today and there is definitely a noise. At idle NO noise and 45PSI oil pressure slightly warm. off idle there is a noise that comes and goes. Forgot to look at the oil pressure when revving
          Been along time sense i herd a rod knock but the noise was not really crank/rod speed.
          Sounded almost tinny but did sound like it was near the front and internal. Spose maybe a piston rattling or maybe a dropped valve but it did seem to idle smooth and no blue oil burning smoke or blow by out the valve covers.
          Just thought of this. Has 600hrs on it. Maybe the timing chain slapping against the cover. Possible?
          One other possibility i can think of. The fuel pump is not pumping fuel maybe the fuel pump cam thing is broke and making the noise.

Comment

After watching some YouTube vids and listening its probably a rod knock

Comment

Just make sure it is not as simple as an exhaust shutter in the Y pipe making a rattling/knocking noise, that drove me nuts till I found it...
              1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
              4.3 OMC Cobra

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
              07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

"While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

Comment

Mine sounds like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sh5lGn6dTg
                Mine is not constant though (yet). It will be a few months before i get it tore down as im not really in any hurry. I just need to have it all ready for next winter.

Comment

Pull the drive and run it. It may be u-joint
                  Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
                  1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
                  2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
                  1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Interesting topic
                    I have a 1984 walk around , cuddy , Sea Ray Fisherman ,.
                    Eventually name changed too Laguna ,
                    Early Laguna had same body , small cuddies, IO
                    Eventually Laguna's went center consoles OB were they sit today

Owing 22 years
                    21 ft perfect size
                    Walk around plenty of fishing room
                    Original 488 pushed a 21 ft boat fine. - Alpha 1 Frugal on gas
                    Eventually engine was done , I was done putting bandages on this engine
                    Boat not worth very much , RE-power with what ???
                    Covered boat , purchased a 30 footer marina queen ,
                    Talking with a 80 year old gear head at a fishing club I belong too , He said I have a 3,7 sitting in my garage , was saving for a project but plans changed , Engine is LIKE NEW ,
                    Knowing this guy , trust him , , I jumped on it , DIRT CHEAP - WHAT A FIND

3.7 Mercruiser
                    Has a meter 17 hours
                    Electronic ignition
                    Wagner bracket with separate pulley ( marine alternator )
                    4 barrel Rochester Carb
                    self contained cooling
                    manifold & riser only 17 hours never in water , bench hours ,
                    Sitting on a pallet in my garage , start on occasion running water thru garden hose , PURRS so smooth ,
                    With all the negatives on the 4 cylinder Felt it was fastest / cheapest /easiest way too go too get boat back in water ,
                    I mentioned I own a 30 footer , cant compare boats , but a smaller easy trailer boat for fishing is so nice ,
                    Decided time has come too get old girl operating , since I had engine
                    Well I was in for a surprise , Removing old engine discovered transom fiberglass had movement , Stripped engine room and started too cut transom , Wood under the fiberglass falling apart in my fingers .
                    A lot of work , not sure if I want too do , Hate too take too dump ,
                    Have this engine sitting hate too sell and if I decide too fix boat then I am really screwed with no engine

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post
                      Pull the drive and run it. It may be u-joint
                      I might find the time to do that this weekend. Ill let ya know what i find out.

Comment

Originally posted by alan ber View Post
                        Interesting topic
                        I have a 1984 walk around , cuddy , Sea Ray Fisherman ,.
                        Eventually name changed too Laguna ,
                        Early Laguna had same body , small cuddies, IO
                        Eventually Laguna's went center consoles OB were they sit today
                        The one im stripping for parts is solid. You can have it for free as soon as i get my parts! Bring a trailer.

Comment

Took the outdrive off and found this.

Comment

So a few weeks ago i i started it up just to see if it would even run. Did not have the water hooked up knowing it would fry the impeller but its getting a new one so i did not care and being closed cooling i knew it would not overheat running for a minute or two at most. Motor ran great but was noisy as previously described.
                            Today i removed the outdrive and put water to it to run it for a while. Sure enough the rattly noise was gone(gimbal bearing)
                            Motor ran like crap! would not idle or run under about 1500 rpm and very rough little coughing out the carb. Could not even tell if it was making any funny noise as it would not run long enough to tell anything.
                            Wanted to investigate more but again it started raining
                            Don't know why im messing with it because i plan on rebuilding it anyway other then its kinda fun and waiting on fuel line parts for the boat its all going to.

Comment

Working...
                            X