Water Pressure Gauge Tubing

alldodge

Staff member
Will be installing a 40 PSI water pressure gauge on the block this season. Could use the typical 1/8 OD tubing but its typically -5 to 125 degrees F, for ice maker stuff, -5 to 175F for auto stuff, and -60 to 200F for shore D:70 stuff.

The shore D:70 is fairly stiff so this probably won't work. Could also use 3/32 ID or 1/4 ID to keep it from clogging but this could also cause a slow response on the gauge. The gauge being slow to respond would not be so much an issue, as would the stream of water coming in if it sprung a leak.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
In reality you can use any of the tubing since your only dealing with ambient temps. Maybe use the automotive if you have a long run in an enclosed motor cover.

Clogging isn’t a problem since there should be nothing but air in the tubing running up the the gauge.

A water saturated line is a problem

alldodge

Staff member
Not to sure about just ambient temps, I'm seeing the engine compartment getting above 100 with ease. Think there will be around 8 to 20 feet in the engine room (depends on routing), then another 8 feet to the helm.

Some off shore boats have had the small tube clogged and needed cleaned out. I'm in fresh so may not have the same issue/concern. The easiest would be use the 1/8 OD tube and if I have issues with it later its easy enough to change out

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... The stuff We use on truck air lines oughta work just fine,.....

Mostly nylon, 'n takes plenty of abuse,....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Some off shore boats have had the small tube clogged and needed cleaned out. I'm in fresh so may not have the same issue/concern.
30 years of offshore boating on three different boats and no “clogs” per say.

i suspect those claiming clogs are either water logged tubing or clogged right at the pickup at the motor.

I had had an issue one time. Tube had a very small leak at the back of the gauge which allowed the the tubing to fill with water. New clamp stopped leak. Gauge still not right.

How I found out there should be no water in the tubing. Drained line and all was good

Last edited:

sam am I

Commander
Polyethylene...........Irrigation hose, -80°F to + 150°F, rugged, outdoorsy, cheap, resistance to environmental stress cracking, stuff survives winters very well, farmers/home owners around here typically leave water in it over winter (might happen in the boat), the black stuff by default has UV inhibitors, get it at Lowes/HD/ACE.

1/4 OD, 0.170 ID is probably as small as you'll be able to get, there's larger though of course.......5/16 .187, 3/8 .250, 1/2 .375, 5/8 .500

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Polyethylene...........Irrigation hose, -80°F to + 150°F, rugged, outdoorsy, cheap, resistance to environmental stress cracking, stuff survives winters very well, farmers/home owners around here typically leave water in it over winter (might happen in the boat), the black stuff by default has UV inhibitors, get it at Lowes/HD/ACE.

The fittings are hose barbs. Designed for a rubber hose/tubing. Polyethylene tubing is too rigid/hard for this applications.

Last edited:

sam am I

Commander
The fittings are hose barbs. Designed for a rubber hose/tubing. Polyethylene tubing is too rigid/hard for this applications.

Serious?

Polyethylene irrigation pipe is quite commonly used with barbed fittings (think my entire sprinkler system is layed out with barbs), can use several type though.......As to if its too rigid/hard, if Dodge is considering Nylon, as it appears he has, I'd assume, possibly incorrectly but, I'd suspect his bend radius requirement etc aren't that stringent, as poly I believe is even more flexible then that the of nylon, esp at the size he's working with.........

Last edited:

sam am I

Commander
This is great stuff as well and fuel/oil proof to boot.......Strung my entire OB engine with it(fuel, oil, bleeders, water and vacuum), bit pricey though, 30/40ft won't kill ya tho, bought it here

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Picked up 20 feet of Gates air brake tubing for 0.59 a ft. Worth the price and short trip. Can get it for less online but then have to wait

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Do you need this AD ? Just maybe thinking that other gauges like temps will show signs of low water pressure ?
but....who doesn’t need more gauges !! Haha.
The wee vessel view I have (only for mpi engines as far as I know) is superb for showing so many engine parameter. They keep upgrading and adding more functions too. Really happy with it.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Do you need this AD ? Just maybe thinking that other gauges like temps will show signs of low water pressure ?
The wee vessel view I have (only for mpi engines as far as I know) is superb for showing so many engine parameter. They keep upgrading and adding more functions too. Really happy with it.
something about all your eggs in one basket and never trust a networked A/D device for timely and accurate data comes to mind...lol

alldodge

Staff member

Been having issues with the motor ever since iit was installed. The high oil temp was something I didn't know was an issue until installing a gauge for it. The block water pressure will let me know how the pump is working, and should also see the pressure start showing a nit lower over time.

Its all about finding out what is and is not an issue. Also want to install a second oil temp sender on the output side of the cooler. Use a SPDT switch on the sender lead to see how the cooler is doing.