craigcat hard to steer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

aronmark

Cadet
I have a 2004 craigcat with a 25hp mercury 2cycle and its hard ti steer in one direction. I heard the cure was change to the right prop. Does anyone know the right prop size , pitch etc ?

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: craigcat hard to steer problem

Most steering troubles are not from the prop itself. the position of the load on the boat and the position of the tab above the prop are the trouble. The height of the motor can also cause poor performance. I have just removed the tab and have had better luck with one of the motors that I use on a boat, that dose just fine with another motor with the same prop and same size motor. The props that I use are a 10 3/8x13 pitch on both Merc 25hp motors. You can look under the prop section of the forum here and get more info about just how your problem maybe solved. JMO
Oldman570

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

...it could also be a corroded tilt tube (the tube at the engine that the steering rod goes through). Some people say clean it spotless and go with that, and other says to lube it. Personally I like it clean so that no debris can stick to the old lube.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

How dose it steer while just sitting and the motor not running.

aronmark

Cadet

Ok let me describe it another way. Under power it turns right turns fast with good power. when you steer left the engine bogs down while in the turn and picks back up after you straightening out. Any ideas?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like a trim tab problem. Either lost or misadjusted.

Arkyhunter46

Cadet

If you are talking about the little craigcat plastic boat that looks like two surf boards with seats then it has stick steering I believe. It's pretty normal for these boats to act this way. Adjusting the tab probably won't cure the problem. you will probably need to get a skeg tab and attach it to the skeg to do any good. You will need to hook a tach up to it to see what rpms you are turning now at WOT to figure out what prop to run.

aronmark

Cadet

Ok hard to steer may not be the right way to say it. the motor bogs down when you turn left. when it comes to boats I'm a novice so maybe someone could explain it to me.how does adjusting the trim stop the motor from bogging down on a left turn.I did read somewhere that someone had put on the right prop and was able to turn left and right without the motor body down.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Are you operating the boat with only you on it? If so, being that there is more weight on the one side than on the other when you make the turn to the side that has the more weight will cause the boat to turn fast and easy. When you turn the opposite way the motor has to lift the heavy side and will work the motor a lot more. I believe you will find that this is normal for a hull design such as the Craigcat has.
JMO
Oldman570

JustJason

Vice Admiral

The engine should not be bogging. If it is, first check to make sure your fuel lines are not getting pinched when you turn it. If the fuel lines are clear, have a helper reach back and squeeze the bulb, if that makes a difference its a fuel delivery issue. (crap in the tank). If that does not make a difference then you likely have some crap or water in the carb. And it's time to pull it off and go through it.

aronmark

Cadet

I have another question.the previous owner of the craigcat that I bought had installed stainless steel Marine quality bolts and stainless steel Marine quality rods that he threaded himself craigcat claims that if you don't use their kit it my damage the boat. is that true and do metal rods require a plastic sleeve?

AMorys322

Recruit
Hi Aronmark, I also own a 2004 Craigcat and mine is doing the exact same as yours was. Steering right was no problem and when I try to steer right, 1. it is hard to pull back and 2. the motor bogs down. Were you able to figure out what the issue was and how did you fix it?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hi Aronmark, I also own a 2004 Craigcat and mine is doing the exact same as yours was. Steering right was no problem and when I try to steer right, 1. it is hard to pull back and 2. the motor bogs down. Were you able to figure out what the issue was and how did you fix it?

Aronmark has not been in the forum for almost 2 years, shortly after starting this thread.

AMorys322 - It is better to start a new topic by following the advice in the Help Tip on top of the page because most members don't look at old threads. We may have some new members with Craigcats since this post was started, but we don't have many Craigcatters.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.