72 merc 9.8 110 hard start gas pours from carb with choke closed.

guymd

Recruit
1972 110 9.8 mercury ser.# 3263263 thru 3795657, 120+psi x 2, clean carb, gets spark, new flywheel key, rebuilt pump, all new gaskets/rings. Hard start, when you close the choke and pull it the gas comes pouring out the carb throat. When i pull the plugs they appear to be on the dry side. Did have it running a few times to adjust the carb but now i cant get anything out of it. Any ideas?102_6277.jpg102_6282.jpg

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 72 merc 9.8 110 hard start gas pours from carb with choke closed.

Get a manual for the motor. Carb needs disassembling and cleaning ....it's sticking. Go to where the carb was set when the motor ran. Adjustment needed. Your gas isn't getting to the plugs either.

guymd

Recruit
Re: 72 merc 9.8 110 hard start gas pours from carb with choke closed.

Get a manual for the motor. Carb needs disassembling and cleaning ....it's sticking. Go to where the carb was set when the motor ran. Adjustment needed. Your gas isn't getting to the plugs either.

thanks for the reply. i have a manual. i got this motor from a guy who started the rebuild but lost interest, any way i have pulled the carb 3 times to clean it after i rebuilt it, its spotless. i also tore the engine down again and checked the rotary reed valves and they appear fine. carb pumps up and holds tight, no loss of pressure on the primer bulb even when cranking it, i also rebuilt the pump. the carb has an overflow hole in the top of the bowl cover so if the float/needle were sticking gas would come out the over flow hole, anyway after tearing it down and starting from scratch i realized the guy had the coil wires crossed, after swapping the wires it fires up and runs but still dosent explain why its pulling so much gas through the carb, i have gone over the schematic over and over and nothing is missing from the carb. once the bowl is full and the needle seats there is no control over the flow being pulled by the engines vacuum, even if i disconnect the fuel line, any way i'm just glad its running, the carb may just be worn out???102_6023.jpg102_6278.jpg6.jpg