Broken Shifting Linkage?

tberg44

Recruit
Hey guys,

I was removing the bottom end on my 1986 30hp Mariner this morning. I followed all of the instructions and went to loosen the shifting linkage nuts, the top one was pretty tight, so I sprayed it with PB Blast and came back later. When I came back, with minimal effort the linkage "broke" loose. I popped out the four bolts and slowly lowered the bottom end out. Once it was out, I realized that the "whole" linkage came out with the bottom end, instead of just the part where the two are supposed to come apart. The shifting linkage rod that came out has a small bolt through it with a clip through one side, two plastic washers, and then the rest of the bolt is gone. I assume I can replace the bolt, but how do I reconnect it back up inside the upper half of the motor? Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!
Here are some pictures I took of the piece in question: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97347455@N05/
Let me know if the photos don't work, or a better way to share them.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Re: Broken Shifting Linkage?

I've got an '82, which is pretty much the same motor. I've always been able to uncouple the shift shaft at mid-point. However, the coupling sometimes freezes. If that happens, my understanding (from a guy who brought my motor back to life after a long rest), is that you can access the top coupling by removing the starter. Strictly hearsay, since I haven't actually done it.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

I should add, what the mechanic has told me is probably valid. He changed the impeller. The first time I tried to remove the LU, shortly after he did his work, I noticed the mid-point coupling was frozen. So, I have deduced that the only way he could have dropped the LU to change the impeller was to uncouple the shift shaft at the top.

tberg44

Recruit

Is yours an electric start? Mine is a pull start, and there is nothing but metal covering the area where I assume the top of the linkage connects to the shifting mechanism... I am worried that I will have to pull the whole motor out to get to the area I need to. Any other tips, tricks, or things I can look into?

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

Mine is electric - but, taking a close look under the cowl, it doesn't matter. The starter is on the Port side of the motor and all the shift shaft action is on the Starboard side. I either mis-understood or the mechanic was telling me wrong because there's no way removing the starter will give you any access to the upper end of the shift shaft.

What if you pulled the coil/capacitor unit? Looks like you might have a little better access - but I don't know if it would be enough.

My repair manual shows how to remove the drive shaft housing - but seems to require removing the powerhead. There's got to be an easier way. Hopefully some of the wiser motor guys on here can help.