Top Cowl Seal OBSOLETE?? - Merc 25hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

MercS5

Cadet
I'm doing some repairs and routine maintenance with my 1996 Mercury 2 stroke 25 hp outboard serial number 0G329980
It started with replacing some seals and o-rings because I had oil dripping from the lower unit and prop. Then I thought while I was in there replace the water pump. And from there spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, the list goes on.

It's my first time doing this maintenance and would like to know something. When replacing the water pump do you just replace the rubber impeller or the whole assembly? I asked my local shop and they said just replace the rubber impeller but I would think once you take it apart it is a good idea to get new gaskets too. Suggestions? Also, anyone ever replaced the o-rings and seals on the gear housing assembly for the prop shaft? I was told not to try it myself and I would need special tools and pay a shop a couple hundred instead of paying under $50 for the parts to do myself.

But most importantly, I am in need of the top cowl seal because it is damaged and missing a section. The top cowl won't seal tight to the bottom and rattles when running and frequently falls off. I can't find this seal anywhere. Anybody with the same motor or have similar issues with parts unavailable? There has to be a compatible seal out there in the world if not the same model. Anybody have a suggestion of what else I could use to seal it tight? The part number is 17773A2 and Mercury website says it is obsolete. I have called at least 9 different Marinas/Shops across the country and nobody has them. The only solution I have been given is buy the whole hood for $200 instead of trying to find the $30 seal. The motor runs without it but I really want that seal so I can quit worrying about it.

I can post a picture of the cross section if it helps.

MercS5

Cadet
Re: Top Cowl Seal OBSOLETE?? - Merc 25hp

Yes I have the service manual. I was told by a Mercury dealer that part you see in your link includes the entire top cowl. It's a 1996 outboard, its a shame they have discontinued my part. Instead of offering the $30 seal around the top cowl (like they used to) they instead sell the whole hood with the seal for $200(which I beleive is item 9?). I just want to know if anyone has replaced the seal itself with rubber hose or another brand that is compatible with this mercury engine.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

A call search of Seaway Marine or Old mercs might get you a seal if one cannot be bought at Crowelly Marine as Gerry has suggested. Other wise you might use a section of rubber or poly hose split length wise and glue it on where the old seal is. 1/8' or up to 1/4' hose should do the job and can be bought at most auto or hardware stores. JMO
Oldman570

Mi duckdown

Commander

Get a rubber inner tube cut it in the size strip you need and glue it on.
Got to put on your thinking cap.
Plus there are tons of companies the sell all kinds of rubbers seals. Google.

carholme

Rear Admiral

Well, the cowl seal and the cowling are two different part numbers and were obviously sold separately at some time:

New Mercury Mercruiser Quicksilver Part 8M0043411 Seal Cowl | eBay

and you can see here (item 9) what the real original price was:

boat ,pontoon,dealer ,dubuque,Illinois,iowa, Manitou, Mercury, Evinrude,pontoon, boats,iowa,new,used,preowned,parts,dredge,service,dredging company

But I too would not be paying $150-200 for a cowl seal.

Gerry

MercS5

Cadet

Patience pays off!
I gave up on my search months ago but I was browsing on ebay and happened upon it finally. The same part number for my motor and for ~$30
Glad I waited.. thanks for your help everyone

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Yes paticance dose pay off, and alot of times better than expected. Enjoy you funtimes with it as those motors are great runners.
Oldman570:happy:

Status
Not open for further replies.