Mariner outboard year?

cdeverocks7

Cadet
Hello all,
I've followed numerous threads and posts here trying to find the exact year of my outboard. Its a Mariner Thirty with a serial number stamp of "made in japan" 689 L 536303. I can't find this number on any of the available cross reference sites. Can anyone help?

I'm trying to diagnose a problem with the motor and need to know the year to order correct parts. Btw...if there's any master mechanics here that want to take a shot at my problem here it is.

The motor will start and run fine but will die after only 10-15 seconds. If I can get it to run long enough to get in open water I can run flat out with no issues but as soon as I bring the rpm's back down to wakeless speed it dies again and is a bear to start back up. I've purged the entire fuel system by draining the tank, putting in new gas, and purging the fuel lines thru the filter, fuel pump, carb, taking apart carb including all the jets and cleaning it with no avail. With that being said I'm leaning towards an electrical issue?

Any ideas or past experiences?

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Re: Mariner outboard year?

There is a site that has been referenced on this forum that will give you the info you need. I don't remember it off-hand, but, I think if you do a title search on "year" and "motor" it will turn up (or one of the many helpful contributors will steer you in the right direction).

In the meantime - my 30 HP is 689407533, and is a 1982. So, I'd bet you are either 1982 or 1983 - which seem to be very similare w/regard to parts.

cdeverocks7

Cadet

Maybe I should clarify. My serial number tag says "30 ML" also. Which my research shows the ML stands for rope pull, long shaft.

carholme

Rear Admiral

Your s/n comes up as:

30 ML 689-535641 - 1994

From here:

http://www.marinshopen.se/Motorer/O...årslista/Mariner2530hp/tabid/460/Default.aspx

Parts listing:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/495.cfm

Service Manual P/N: 90-826148R03

http://1manual.com/Mercury manuals/Service Manual PDFs/TwoStroke/826148r2/cover.pdf

You must have Adobe Acrobat reader installed to use this manual. If you scroll down to the lower part of the opening page, you will see the various engine components in red. Click on the one you want and when the first page opens, click on the "Save As" icon at the top LH corner of the page and you can save it to your computer.

Gerry

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

OK, mine is "EL". Anyways, as I anticipated, one of the helpful folks steered you in the right direction.

cdeverocks7

Cadet

thanks for the reply. i found the same thread for the cross reference of the year but everyone at local repair shops say it's not a 1994. I'm at a loss for now. I'd post pictures for verification but it's been covered with a camo decal...except for the "Mariner Thirty" potion. Maybe i can post a photo and get somemore feedback.
thanks guys

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

At the risk of giving you more misleading info - I've noticed some of the 3'd party parts listings for the Mariner indicate that a particular part is for "pre-1994, 40 HP and under" models. Maybe it doesn't make much difference for the "bolt-on" stuff like impellers, carb kits, etc.

cdeverocks7

Cadet

yeah you're probably right on the bolt on stuff but unfortunalely i need electrical components. cdi and/or switch box which as we all know needs to be spot on.

cdeverocks7

Cadet

i'll snap a photo of the mariner decal over the weekend and maybe you can compare to yours?
thanks

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

I can see the confusion - in the chart. In my case (30 EL 689 407533) I see 1982 30 EL w/#'s 689 406691 - . That seems to indicate that everything from that # to the next one in the chart is a 1982. But, I can't see a 30 EL in later years with a # above 689 406691.

Then I go to the 1984 30A EL and see #'s 689 310820 - 689 413868, which are inclusive of my #.

In my case, I know my motor is a 1982. However, on another site I see a post that indicates the 30 HP made in Japan are all 30A's. Sigh!!!

In your case, using the above, probably flawed, logic, I could determine your motor was either a 1982 (#689 313691 -) or a 1994. Sigh!!!

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

I should add that I've been informed (on this site and the MarineEngine.com site) that Mariners made in Japan have the designation "A" and that when looking for parts for my motor I should look under the "30A" category (which further confuses my interpretation of the chart.

I've attached a couple of shots of the Mariner logo in my motor housing.

Attachments

• Steering Linkage1.jpg
    Steering Linkage1.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 0
  • Steering Linkage3.jpg
    Steering Linkage3.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 0

cdeverocks7

Cadet

2011-11-25_13.57.46.jpg2011-11-25_13.56.52.jpg

here's a photo of mine. it does look to be a newer design than yours so maybe the cross reference chart is correct and the local service guy is just being lazy on his cross refence.

thanks

cdeverocks7

Cadet

Your s/n comes up as:

30 ML 689-535641 - 1994

From here:

http://www.marinshopen.se/Motorer/O...årslista/Mariner2530hp/tabid/460/Default.aspx

Parts listing:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/495.cfm

Service Manual P/N: 90-826148R03

http://1manual.com/Mercury manuals/Service Manual PDFs/TwoStroke/826148r2/cover.pdf

You must have Adobe Acrobat reader installed to use this manual. If you scroll down to the lower part of the opening page, you will see the various engine components in red. Click on the one you want and when the first page opens, click on the "Save As" icon at the top LH corner of the page and you can save it to your computer.

Gerry

Thanks Gerry. I have noticed that my powerhead has a Yamaha stamp on it and my s/n plate does say made in japan. After further research i did find some of the Mariner motors were manufactured using yamaha powerheads in japan and that part of their designation should be "A". using this info (30 A ML 689-536303) I was able to easily find my s/n and parts on ********** but it never did say the year. do you still think the 1994 designation is correct? i need to order some CDI parts and since they are pretty expensive and not returnable i want to make sure i get the right stuff the first time.
thanks again

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

My tag says "Made in Japan for Mariner" but there is no "A" anywhere to be found. Was the "A" actually put on the serial number tag, or was it understood that "made in Japan" = "A"?

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

I notice there is no "A" on your serial number plate - as is the case with mine, which also says "Made in Japan." Does that mean that the "A" designation is understood for all Mariners made in Japan?