2018 115 HP Pro XS Overheating // Water Jet sputtering... Help

SpykeYs

Recruit
Good day,

I have 2018 Mercury 115 HP Pro XS 2.0 L (4 Stroke) who has always been maintained at the dealership at the end of each season and I have never had any issues.

I've put my boat in the water for the first time after winterization about a month ago and I experienced 3 beeps twice with reduced RPM while beeping. I took no chance and brought it to the dealership who basically did nothing other than plugging computer on it and let me now it did overheat. They checked a few things and let me know to try it again as it was perhaps false alarms. I was stunned and told them
i'm no expert but i'm pretty sure it will do it again... anyway tried it again this weekend with same results... i started looking for symptoms and noticed the following.

The return jet seems fine at idle but at medium or high speed it starts to come out sputtering and choking and within 30 seconds of sputtering is when I get the overheating alarms. I took the t-stat out and I experienced the same issue.

Does this seem to be a water pump issue to you ?

thanks !

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Check the strainer ….#14

Attachments

• photo334455.jpg
    photo334455.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 5

SpykeYs

Recruit
Check the strainer ….#14

Hi ! Just took it out and everything is good there. Looks clean and no debris, was able to blow no issue. Also blew up in the pisser hose and no obstruction there either.

If my boat runs idle the pisser works fine but if I go half or full speed, sometimes it takes 2 minute sometimes 10... but at some point the pisser will start choking and water jet will be reduced and when this happens, within 30 secs or so the motor will reduce RPM and start beeping.

Thanks

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi
Likely not the issue but check the engine flush hose quick connect fitting cap isn’t loose and leaking water. On the side next to tilt switch. Picture of mine for reference

Attachments

• C018A729-1C88-4A98-B5AE-3D1C85A29DA5.png
    C018A729-1C88-4A98-B5AE-3D1C85A29DA5.png
    402.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Do you have the smart craft gauges ? If so look and see what the water pressure is on the gauge menu