Trying to sync a 1987 Classic 50 need a little help?

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hint----You can NOT find a broken / damaged / stuck open reed valve with a compression tester.

Well I sure hope its not the reeds! That looks to warrant a total rebuild, once your in that far! Is it possible to inspect them with a snake camera?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sure ----one of those camara thingies will work.-----Removing carburetors makes it easier.-----But do a thorough trouble shooting job first.----Outboards are so simple that they will fool you!

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sure ----one of those camara thingies will work.-----Removing carburetors makes it easier.-----But do a thorough trouble shooting job first.----Outboards are so simple that they will fool you!

Well, here's an update. Went to the lake to fiddle with it some more. Motor flooded bad! Seems this new fuel tank I have, only lets air in, but not out. So in the sun its steadily building pressure and pushing fuel past my float valve. Oh, and the carb floats seem stuck again? How in the heck, can that happen? Oh well, its back in my shop. I will pull the carbs again! I will send a camera in there to look at the reeds while I am at it. Thinking I might find another tank. EPA crap! Any tips will be appreciated, as usual.

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class
Now its dying! Lol. Will troll along a little while, almoat like it loses fuel, and dies. But, I can see the fuel lines, its not losing fuel, or sucking air. I have the green lines installed under the cowl. Thought maybe exuast blockage as racerone suggested. Dropped the lower. Exaust tube will not come out from the bottom? Looked up it, it us a little dirty, but not blocked. I did notice while in there, that whoever serviced the water pump last, didnt put the rubber seal back in the pump housing for the tube. I wonder if the housing could fill with water, since no seal was there? And cause too much back pressure? I thought I had changed the pump, but I have not been into this one it seems. Ordering parts! Hole in the water! Any new suggestions will be appreciated.

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok, went ahead and put on a new water pump kit. While I had the lower off, looked up the tailpipe. It was about 1/3 restricted with carbon buildup. Reached up in there with a bar and knocked all of it out I could. That stuff was hard and compacted! Raceone, thanks for the advice. I hope that was the problem. It will be a couple of weeks before I can hit the lake again to try it out. So in the mean time I am going to ring the switchbox and check the trigger and such, just for piece if mind.

OK, I'm dying to know what happened! I have the same motor and I need all the info I can get. BTW, in the first picture, what are those solenoids on the left? Must be for power trim I guess. My power trim must have been removed...