Ignition (So close but yet so far)!!!!! Black Max V6

Wjs13

Cadet
I have a 1978 Mercury Black Max V6 two stroke 175hp. Replaced battery, solenoid, starter and it won't crank from the key! All the power checks have been done and the solenoid is getting the proper voltage, I can start it by going from big post to little solenoid, it starts a couple other way but it won't turn the starter when I use the key!!! Help!please!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Check the wiring of the solenoid. Some are internally grounded, others require a ground wire to be run to one of the small terminals. The bad news, you can't ground one of the small terminals on an internally ground solenoid, causes problems.

If you have a multimeter, it's easy to tell the difference. Check the resistance between the small terminals. If it's ∞ then you have the internally grounded solenoid. Also, with that solenoid, the wires have to be on the right terminals. Again, with a multimeter, the terminal that has about 5Ω to the base is the ' I ' terminal, and will be the one you connect the small 'Start' wire to.

HTH

Chris........

Wjs13

Cadet
Thank you so very much for the input.
If that is so then what do we do with the side that shouldn’t be grounded.
The solenoid has an I and an S on the small terminals, would that make any difference.
This is a project my son and I are working on together.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
If you have terminals marked ' I ' and 'S', then you have the solenoid that is grounded internally to its frame.

Run the small red/yellow wire (I assume is the START wire) to the 'S' terminal. Make sure the frame of the solenoid is attached, either mechanically or with a wire from the mounting bolt to the solenoid body. Leave the ' I ' terminal blank.

Chris..........

Dukedog

Captain
do you have a red wire at ign. switch?. does it have 12v ta ground?.. does tha shifter have a neutral safety switch?.. does tha yellow/red on tha sol. show 12v when key is turned?... how many "small red" wires are attached to sol. battery cable terminal?..

Last edited:

Wjs13

Cadet
Thanks gang. After replacing solenoid and ignition switch it starts!! Water test today. Woot Woot for the 78 Silverline Nantucket with Black Max 175hp outboard.

Wjs13

Cadet
Well crap! Had it working great when we put in new key switch. Then we made the connection with butt connectors instead of tape and now it won’t turn start again. Took connectors off and it still won’t start. I think it’s possessed.