1972 merc 140 hp.

Headster

Recruit
Hi I’m looking at buying a used a boat and want some advice what to look for. Looking at a 1974 glastron cv16, from pictures hull looks in decent shape. Anything specific i should look for?
and the motor is a 1972 140hp merc outboard. Currently not running because it has no spark. Any recommendations? Thoughts? Opinions? What should i look for?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The 72 1400 is a 1 Year Motor, not to be confused with the later 1978 - 81 1400/140.
Being that it is 48 years old, it likely have Mercury's Rotted Wiring throughout. The No Spark might or might not be caused by the forementioned wiring, or in other parts of the Ignition System. Fuel System components, Hoses, Fuel Pump Diaphragms, might need replacement, Waterpump Impeller should be replaced.
Do a Compression Test

Gear Case is another concern. Any signs of leaks? Any signs of Water in the Oil?

The Boat. Is the Transom Solid, no flexing when you lock the motor up and really press down on it? Does the Floor feel soft in any spot? Stick you head under the Transom Well and sniff. Any Smell of Rotting Wood?

It it might be a fine combo, but it is almost 50 yrs old... It likely will have some issues

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I bought a new boat in 1972. I can't imagine how far back that is in history. I can think of problems occurring with engines of that vintage over the years. I think you might seriously think about what you are about to do. You may be opening a can of worms for an experienced, mechanically inclined, mariner, much less someone that may be new to boating.....you didn't say but the connotation is there. Corrosion and electrical component degradation can drive you nuts, plus unique parts may be hard to find. The Glastron was made in Austin, Texas and wood was popular back then for transom supports, stringers, and decking. Wood rots! Getting to it requires dismembering the boat, all the way to the empty hull!

Good Luck!

Mooredom91

Seaman Apprentice
To check if the trigger is bad put the fly wheel to tdc then turn the distributor. If you don’t not here a click noise the trigger is bad. No click means money spent. have a multi meter to test the wiring.
pull the cable running from the coil to the distributor out of the distributor hold it close to the engine block if you gets a spark there your coil is working and switch box is semi working. No spark there it could be the coil or switch box. Switch box is like 100-200 bucks.
inspect for replacements parts. Check if there is anything new like wires fuel lines different color carbs than the engine.
Put the boat in gear make sure the prop spins accordingly. If the bottom unit is frozen that would suck.

knock on the entire transom from the outside you’ll be able to tell hollow spots.

After all that check your bank account because this may be a project.