Mariner Tilt & Trim

michaelp24

Cadet
I'm going to attempt to explain this the best that I can.

Last year I bought a boat with a Mariner 115 outboard on it. The motor on it runs flawlessly. I noticed this year that when the boat is on the trailer the outboard slowly lets itself down, so slowly that you wouldn't notice unless you watched it for 10 minutes or so. I tried filling the tilt and trim fluid on it but it did not fix my problem.

So, my question is: Is it safe to run the boat on the water with this problem occurring? Also, does anyone have any suggestions to fix this?

Thank you for the help.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
That is a common issue. I presume there is no fluid leaking out?

What year is the motor? Is the Trim pump in the boat, or between the transom clamps? One, two or three rams in the PTT system?

As long as you do not use the trim, or she doesn't slam down, if you use the trim, the motor is safe to run. Make sure the trim pin is installed to keep the motor from hitting the transom and digging it out.

michaelp24

Cadet
That is a common issue. I presume there is no fluid leaking out?

What year is the motor? Is the Trim pump in the boat, or between the transom clamps? One, two or three rams in the PTT system?

As long as you do not use the trim, or she doesn't slam down, if you use the trim, the motor is safe to run. Make sure the trim pin is installed to keep the motor from hitting the transom and digging it out.

There is no fluid leaking out. The motor is a 92' Mariner. The trim pump is in the boat. There is only one ram in the PTT system.

Is there anything I can do or buy and install to make this problem stop?

Thanks.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
OK, A one ram system is one of the PTT options for your motor. The trim pump should be mounted between the transom clamps, next to the trim cylinder.

A usual cause of trim leaking down is a bad piston seal. However, in your motor, it doesn't look like a lot of repair parts are available. Make sure you gets parts for the correct PTT unit,as two single ram PTT units are listed.

There is a screw and seal kit available. It will have all the rubber pieces (orings mostly) plus some gaskets. However, the piston seals look to be unavailable. You can buy a replacement whole unit or a replacement cylinder.

I would consult amazon or other aftermarkets for a replacement unit or replacement cylinder. Price 'em up and see what way balances the risk of part availability. Looks like you will need some luck to figure this out.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi
on the side of the trim pump, there is a manual release screw. Accessed by a screwdriver through a hole in the side of assembly next to it. If it’s backed off or more commonly, the seal has been compromised, you’ll get the issue you have. Have a look there.