Broken water pump bolt mercury 20 hp 2 STROKE

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1989 mercury 20 hp 2 STROKE. The front left water pump bolt broke and a local shop is unable to get the broken bolt out. The broken piece is BELOW the water pump plate flange surface. Can I just install the water pump housing with 3 BOLTS? Will this work? Any suggestions assuming I don't want to try to get the broken bolt out?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
No you need all 4 bolts to keep it sealed. Find a good machine shop they will be able to get it out.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
That's a medium size water pump, if don't wan to remove the broken bolt any time soon, adjust the other 3 bolts tight and apply silicone to the lower water pump countour, let it fully cure for at least 24 hours. Start motor and check if with a proper peeing pressure. There's nothing to lose, only time going to the machine shop, probably returning next day, some days latter and $$$ to save...

If the pump's internal liner is found lightly scratched, can micro polish it to near new condition , wet a large piece of cotton, apply an overdose of toothpaste and rotate it hard in circular motion against the liner till all the micro scratches has been removed to a shiny condition.

If having a dremel rotating tool can perform same procedure with those white cotton feltre bits. Reaconditioned liner and new impeller will pump more water with increased pressure than before and last way longer than if doing nothing. If all water paths, jackets in the entire powerhead are immaculate clean the end result will be much better.

It's entirely up to the OP's which way would want to go.

Happy Boating

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
You have a chrome bore motor which also a blind bore. So if you scuff the pistons they are $130 apiece dealer only items. If you manage to.scuff the chrome you will be looking for a new motor. Those are small bolts with plastic spacers in them, Not a good idea to use permatex on that pump. Fix it right or pray that it doesnt overheat.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
The broken bolt needs removed by a machine shop. As usual someone posted useless information as the mounting gasket has a silicon sealing ridge on it from factory so use no silicon in repairing it. Also polishing liner will not add any volume or pressure..only impeller material will do that. A Malloy impeller is softer and will add about 1psi at idle and 4 psi at WOT on certain models.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I think if you use some diamond lapping compound and " ladies underwear " you can fix those scratches !----Find a shop that can remove that bolt.----Or make a drilling fixture ( 3/4 steel plate ) so you can drill it out yourself !!