Solenoid

Johnt211

Cadet
1994 150hp mariner. Trying to replace the solenoid. Sounds simple, however, the original has no markings on it and the new one has an”I” and an “s” marked near the smaller screws. Not sure which wires go where. There is a yellow/red wire going to one of the small screws and a black wire going to the other small screw. Looks like it was replaced once before by previous owner.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
That's a automotive solenoid...get the correct one as Racer posted.

Johnt211

Cadet
The solenoid on the boat has no markings, so if I was to get the right solenoid how would I know which terminals would the smaller wires go?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If you support your local dealer you may get the correct advice on how to hook up the solenoid they sold you.------At least that is the way it was years ago.

Johnt211

Cadet
Can the auto solenoid be used just to get some fishing in this weekend and then replace next week?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Auto solenoids are not vapor proof. That is, if you have gasoline vapor under the hood, it could ignite.

Marine Solenoids are available at lots of marine stores, and are pretty universal.

Dave neo

Cadet
maybe ignition (switch) and starter but not I am not sure - someone here should be able to help you. Otherwise, I would tell dealer what motor it is and they should be able to get you correct one..

sam am I

Commander
So as others have said, that sounds like an automotive or moreover, a marine I/O type solenoid.

IF and only if, it's a marine I/O type, moot point on the vapor issue. That being said.......

The original obviously has two unmarked small studs and two large studs, of the small studs, one goes to/is the "s" or red/yellow wire (start "s" terminal on ig switch) and the other small stud goes to/is the ground and has the black wire that of course goes to ground.

They can be in any order, doesn't matter. Of the large studs, one goes to the batt and the other goes to the starter and order, doesn't matter.

An/the marine I/O type solenoid can work in a pinch and can get you home but, needs to be wired in a bit of a MacGyver...Nothing too crazy however.

The "s" terminal/stud goes to the red/yel wire just like the old one BUT, the "I" stud is a "no connect" on your/a OB motor, so let it just float. The body (mounting ears) of this solenoid is the ground, so your black wire from the old solenoid is also a no connect but, as stated, you'll have to make sure the solenoid's body mounts to and has a good frame ground.

If need be, you can run the mounting bolt through the black wire's spade lug when mounting it to the engine. The two large studs of course are same as the old, one goes to the batt and the other to the starter.

Last edited: