1963 Mercury 650 restoration

The Force power

Commander
[QUOTE I've been looking online for parts and I think I've found most everything I may need. I have read and seen that it IS possible to re-install crank without the mercury ring compressors and I'm having trouble finding those for a reasonable price. Do you have any idea about the roller bearings? Can I get those out and back in without the mercury tool?[/QUOTE]

I hope others with more knowledge & experience will tune in and provide more guidance.
With "roller bearings" you mean; Crank bearings ? connecting-rod bearing? wrist-pin bearings?

You sure its not coming from lower?

MPrimeaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah, crank bearings....upper main crank bearing is what I think it is. It's erratic so that makes me lean towards a ball bearing. I think if it were the needles in the rod, (which from what I've read would likely cause piston slap) you would hear it every stroke. It sounds kinda like a bad ball that will turn just right every now and then. I'm at work for a few weeks now, so when I get home I may start pulling it apart to narrow it down.

MPrimeaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
Racer. I hate to admit it, but I'm not sure what that is or where it's at. Could you give me a little coaching? I'm looking through schematics and haven't found it yet.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The flex plate is on top of the flywheel and can crack if the wrong method is used to remove the flywheel. After 57 years, it could have happened anytime in all those years. Yesterday it was 56 years, but Happy Year.

Can you grab a pic of the top of the flywheel? Straight down showing the whole thing.

MPrimeaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
I gotcha. When I removed it, I had the correct tool, but I understand someone else might have done it incorrectly. This sound is new though. I realize that everything works until it breaks, but I have a video of when I first got it back together and running and this sound wasn't there then. It's just been since I took it to the lake the other day. I am at work for 3 weeks, so I can't get a picture straight down on it until I get home, but this is the closest thing that I have of the flywheel on my computer.
IMG_1993.jpg

Attachments

• progress 2.JPG
    progress 2.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1663.jpg
    IMG_1663.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 0

The Force power

Commander
I gotcha. When I removed it, I had the correct tool, but I understand someone else might have done it incorrectly. This sound is new though. I realize that everything works until it breaks, but I have a video of when I first got it back together and running and this sound wasn't there then. It's just been since I took it to the lake the other day. I am at work for 3 weeks, so I can't get a picture straight down on it until I get home, but this is the closest thing that I have of the flywheel on my computer.

ANY news?

MPrimeaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
ANY news?

I'm ashamed to say... no. To be perfectly honest, I haven't done much at all on the '63. I was a little frustrated with finally getting it running good and having another issue and just took a break. I DID look into parts and I CAN get main bearings for it, so that's good. I'm still leaning towards it either being an upper main, but I still need to pull the flywheel and just take a look. It's springtime and the fish are biting!! I have since purchased another boat (not a project!!! just one to fish out of!!) that came equipped with a '78 Merc 500 that I've been tinkering with a little. Motor runs pretty good and is in pretty good shape, needs a little work on the power tilt and trim, but that's for another thread. I am supposed to go home in a week or so and they've swapped us to 28 days on/ 28 days off to try to reduce the rig's exposure to this COVID 19, so I'll have a little extra time at home than I'm used to. My lovely wife has graciously planned some honeydoo's for me so I don't get bored while in quarantine, but I hope to have a little time to work on the '63. It's warm enough to start on the glass work, so I need to get off my butt and get busy! I'll keep you posted.