High speed glazing

StAugJonboat

Cadet
96 mercury gamefisher 5hp 2 stroke, plug is glazing after about 30 minutes drive causing misfire... how can I remedy this?

StAugJonboat

Cadet
No. I was reading up on it, "Insulator has yellowish glazed appearance. Indicates that combustion chamber temperatures have risen suddenly during hard acceleration. Normal deposits melt to form a conductive coating. Causes misfiring at high speeds." www.gsparkplug.com. it says to use a "colder" plug...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
This is interesting.----Post the results after new plugs and some testing.

StAugJonboat

Cadet
I've run it with a new plug... runs great for 30 minutes then starts misfiring again. I'm going to adjust the fuel mixture then replace the impeller... thing maybe it's running hot causing the plug problem...

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
How old is the gas? And, what additives have been added to it?

StAugJonboat

Cadet
It isn't too old, it's been filled twice in the last 2 months... 3 gallon tank. The 2 cycle I use has fuel stabilizer in it, no other additives

StAugJonboat

Cadet
Checked impeller, it's fine. Water tube is clear, its peeing ok..
kind of at a loss..
might need to change fuel mixture maybe? Any suggestions?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you realize that 2 cycle oil is a stabilizer by itself. skip the fuel stabilizer and run with good clean fuel.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Post some picture of the plugs. I'd like to see both the electrodes and the ceramic insulators.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
What plug are you running?

like to see a picture.

Combustion temps are a product of fuel and air mixture in a 2 stroke. A “glazed” plug viewed from a 2 stroke perspective is a lean condition.

Last edited:

StAugJonboat

Cadet
I'm running the recommended plugs. I ran the boat the other night after cleaning the plug with brake cleaner, it ran like crap for about 10 minutes then smoothed out. I'll try to get pictures of the plug in the next day or two. I work nights in the ER... doing a 3 day stretch right now.

Attachments

• photo306280.jpg
    photo306280.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 0

StAugJonboat

Cadet
I've got a model number 587506... maybe this site has the wrong info...

Attachments

• photo306284.jpg
    photo306284.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 0

StAugJonboat

Cadet
So here's a plug a pulled out a few weeks ago. Probably run fire about 2 hours, cleaned with seafoam and than for another hour.. forgot I had done that... hence the little bit of rust forming... next is the new plug, came in the mail today. All this being said, where fishing there let day, ran the boat twice, high speed misfire isn't happening, but it is at mid throttle now

Attachments

• photo306586.jpg
    photo306586.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • photo306587.jpg
    photo306587.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
So here's a plug a pulled out a few weeks ago. Probably run fire about 2 hours, cleaned with seafoam and than for another hour.. forgot I had done that... hence the little bit of rust forming... next is the new plug, came in the mail today. All this being said, where fishing there let day, ran the boat twice, high speed misfire isn't happening, but it is at mid throttle now

The two plugs you show are not the same. One (newer looking one) looks like a long reach, while the used one is short. I hope there was not issues with piston hits. IDK.