1996 mercury sport jet 90xr

woodfish510

Recruit
Hi all new here.
been reading a lot. Learning new things.
anyway I have 90 xr jet and I'm getting water in the bottom cylinder. We have replaced the head and exhaust gaskets. Engine run fines, except the water promlem. Any idea what be causing this.? A tech told me it could be the reeds.any input would be very helpful. Thanks all

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Not sure how a " tech " would think it is the reed valves.-----No water is anywhere near the reeds !!-----How long have you owned it ?------Any chance it was not winterized properly ?-------And if water gets on the crank / rod bearings it will cause serious corrosion in short order so you need to get this sorted out pronto.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Anyone with their boat anywhere that tech needs to worry, haha.
Dies this happen every time you use it ? It can only really happen from a few things.

Can come from the head gasket
can come from the water jacket if it has frost dansge
can come back from exhaust on rare occasion if running on a hose and you turn water on before engine
it can come from fuel if contaminated.

It cant be too bad if it’s not hydraulic locking I suppose.

woodfish510

Recruit
Thanks fir replys. It was my freinds boat. It owned it a few years. Bought a new one. Ever since he bought it used. He always had water in it. And had carb issues as well. I got boat at a good price. I thought about pulling engine and putting an outboard jet on it. Maybe like someone here said the exhust plate could be warp just enought to allow water in. I didn't get a change to run it since i got it. Back in garage. Now working 50to 70hours a week. Winter project when things slow down.
so does anyone susspect a cracked block. Dealer only run it on hose after installing new head gasket, maybe he had too much hose pressure. Thinks i will have to check out when i get time to work on it.