1977 mercury outboard

Bobbyjdog

Recruit
I'm thinking about purchasing a 1977 Mercury 115 hp outboard to replace my Suzuki dt 150 which has 2 cylinders with low compression. Guy said motor runs well but I'm wondering if something does go wrong with it are parts available to repair it. Any help would be appreciated. Or is this a motor I should stay away from ( like the Suzuki )! Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Those were very good motors, in their day. A '77 Inline 6 will have the older distributor ignition. It's parts are expensive but still avail. The engine wiring harness is likely bad, unless it has been replaced. Make sure the waterpump is serviced every 2-3 years, so the motor doesn't overheat. If the motor has been kept in salt water, I would choose another, because at that age, the aluminum block starts to breakdown from corrosion, in my experience.

I would expect that '77 motor to be very inexpensive, say $300 or less, hopefully less.

I would choose a newer motor with an ADI ignition, as it's parts are more avail and cheaper.

Bobbyjdog

Recruit
Thanks for the advise. He's wanting 850 it looks really good for the age and he said that it's been rewired. I'm just afraid of the age 40 years old may he pushing it

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I bought a '93 Merc 135HPV6 a few years ago for $1K. Much better motor (IMO), and better price