2006 Mercury 25HP EFI 4 stroke - Won't start

Duma

Cadet
I didn't start the motor at all last boating season and now can't start it. It has electric start and it only cranks without starting. I realize I shouldn't use starting fluid, but I need to give it a quick shot to see if it's a fuel issue like I suspect it most likely is. Where would I spray the fluid to get the best chance of starting the motor.

If you have a picture of the location, that would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Duma

Cadet
I think I found it. Can anyone verify if this is the best place to spray the starter fluid. It's the forward part of the intake manifold and that grate is called the "Silencer Assembly"

Attachments

• photo295495.jpg
    photo295495.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 4
  • photo295496.jpg
    photo295496.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Duma

Cadet
No luck spraying starting fluid into that grate. Still only cranks without starting.

Duma

Cadet
Yes, spark plugs are brand new and have spark. I verified the gap while I had each plug out. All 3 spark plugs had a nice spark.

Duma

Cadet
I'll be at the dinghy sometime this week. Does anyone know what the valve on the fuel rail is used for? It looks like a bicycle tire inflator valve and sits on top of the fuel rail. Would it be wise to blow some air through there to see if anything gets unclogged? I'm basically grasping at straws before taking the motor into a professional for service. I've done all the routing maintenance: new plugs, oil / filter change, new fuel filter, new fuel...

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
That valve is called a shrader valve and you connect a fuel pressure gauge up to it.

If you are positive you have spark, a fuel pressure test would be the next step.