Motor won’t Start

Bassbuggy89

Cadet
Hey group I have a 80’s model two stroke 60 HP motor that will not start. When trying to start the motor it will just turn over non stop without an attempt to fire. I can spray a little fuel into the carbs and it fires right up but won’t stay running. This points to a fuel problem to me so I have replaced the primer bulb and tested the fuel at the inline filter and it has it there but doesn’t seem to be getting to the carbs. Would the next item to check be the fuel pump?

joeanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class
has it been sitting for a while? if so, the carbs may need to be cleaned out.

merc850

Commander
One way I start an unused motor is to trim it or tilt it up as far as it will go then pump the fuel ball until fuel runs out of the carb(s); if it does tilt it back down and choke it and it should start.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Your issue is likely lack of choke or clogged fuel passages in the carb.

If you have choke plates, make sure they close when the choke button is pushed. Also make sure the motor cranks well, as fast cranking is necessary for good choking.

If you have an enrichener instead of a choke. make sure she is dumping fuel into the carbs, when the choke button is pressed.

If that is not the issue, it is likely the carbs need to be cleaned and rebuilt.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
A wise old man once told me that 99% of 2 stroke engines not starting or running right will be the carb needing looked at. Done me right so far

BrettNC

Petty Officer 1st Class
Really force the primer bulb to get fuel past the pump and into the carb bowls. If it starts, then you have a pump problem, If not, clean out carbs.

Bassbuggy89

Cadet
*Update*
changed the fuel diaphragm and checked all fuel lines to it and all works well. So it has to be the carbs.
after re-assembling still not starting. Guess to the shop she goes 😕