1960's 3.9hp and 6hp Mercury

Vintage Boat Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm looking into buying a pair of Mercury outboards from the mid 60's. One is a 3.9hp and the other is a 6hp. The owner has told me they haven't run since hes owned them and they are not seized but the 6hp has one spark plug wire missing from under the flywheel. I would like to know anything I can about these motors and anything to be aware of or problems they have that might help me decide to stay clear of them. Also a ball park figure of what they are worth would be helpful too. I'm new to the Mercury world.

merc850

Commander
I would offer $200.00 for the pair after I've done a compression check [110 psi only 10% difference between cyl.]; there are parts available from several companies and individuals, the impellers are going to have to be replaced so look for them first. The coils are a possible 2nd need, the condensers, and the points (if good) can be cleaned and set. If you're serious and want to get them into good running condition a manual 1965 and prior is an asset.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
ignition parts are expensive for merc motors from the 50's and 60's

merc850

Commander
Check the LU for water and make sure that they shift gears but don't shift into reverse without turning the prop at the same time. Checked a site and they have coils @ $107.00. but this is jumping the gun.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Motors like that need complete dis-assembly.-----Then if all the internal parts are good you can buy any needed parts to get a runner.----Free might be paying too much for those motors !

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Coils on the 60's magneto ignition Mercs are usually still good. Points and condensers, carb kits, and impellers are still available. The magneto ignition is much more reliable and easy to service than the slightly later Phasemaker ignitions. Look at the lower units carefully, the driveshafts are prone to rust which lets water in past the upper seal and will rust up the gears. The smaller Mercs of the era are very smooth running, and powerful for their size, but parts are never going to be as cheap or easy to find as OMC.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
I have a 3.9 good little kicker

points easy to adjust/clean hopefully coil is ok handle wires carefully

check gearcase for oil or cracks.. refill

some hoses may be crumbling but easy to replace

carb easy to clean

fuel pump kits available careful with the check valves

you can always rig a non oem $10 pump and hoses to run it if the original is not serviceable

female hose end connector motor side rare $$ (Get the tank and hose if you can !!!)

see if owner with let you try it... run oil rich for a while if you don't want to open it up (not for novice)

clean small drain hole bottom of gearcase and the skeg internal cavity as it fills up with crud ( while doing the impeller)

check for mono on the prop shaft .... seals may be damaged

$200 for 2 a bit pricy but cheap if they run ok

Vintage Boat Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ya these were on the local classified site called kijiji. I guess I'll have to find out what he is looking to get out of the pair to know if its worth buying. Thanks for all the advice.