Does my motor have recirculating lines & check valves?

DJ_Allatoona

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My motor: Mercury 75HP 2-stroke made in 1986. I was describing an occasional issue I have with one of those "Fred's Shed" technicians at a boat show. My issue is this: sometimes when I finish running and I'm trailering the boat, I get this oily slime dripping out. Here's a picture: https://i.imgur.com/netTPP3.jpg

Fred's Shed guy had a theory....that my recirculation lines or check valves are bad. That gas/oil mix is pooling somewhere under the cowling, and the 'recirc' lines/valves that should handle that pooled fuel is no good.

Makes sense, but for the life of me, I don't know if my motor has these recirculation lines or check valves. Nothing in my SELOC book mentions them.

Any ideas?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
3 cylinder or 4 cylinder ?----Does not matter actually as both types have the oil recirc line from bottom of block to the top.----Look for it, as it is easy to spot.-----There may be other issues as well that cause an oil slick.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
That slime looks to have water mixed. in. I would run her on the flusher, cowling off and see where it comes from. If it is from the small oil line from the bottom bearing, and it has water in it, that is not good.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I had that on a ‘96 Merc 90. Closer inspection showed a loose oil injection line leaking oil into bottom of hood area. Tilting the engine would move the oil gathered and leaked out here. That along with blocked drain outlets under hood....and Rain water and jet washing etc threw emulsified oil out here. TRhankfully noticed it in time and replaced oil lines then eventually by passed oil injection and pre mixed.