Drive shaft casing - grease fitting?

Kronos

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,

On my 2004 mercury 60 EFI down at bottom of the drive shaft housing - in front of everything else - there is something that looks like a fitting for grease.

I hade the lower unit disassembled but never noticed this one - hence I wonder what is it for? Should I apply grease? What does it lubricates? I cannot tell from drawings.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Any pictures ?----There is a fitting on some lower units for a hose to feed pressure to a speedometer.

Kronos

Seaman Apprentice
[No message]

Attachments

• photo283258.jpg
    photo283258.jpg
    606.6 KB · Views: 0

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
That is the speedometer fitting. A hose goes on there, and runs to the dashboard speedo.

Kronos

Seaman Apprentice
Seems very likely it is a speedometer fitting, thanks Grub!

It isn´t a screw plug - sorry for the bad picture

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Seems very likely it is a speedometer fitting, thanks Grub!

It isn´t a screw plug - sorry for the bad picture

While you are messing with it, ensure that the passageway between it and the water pickup is clear which is below the AV plate; a little slot with a hole in the back of it in the leading edge of the LU casting. When you had the LU off you should have noticed a tube running down to it.....which connected to the back side of this fitting if that's what it is and seems to be so. On my 90 the fitting was up near the clamp bracket top.

Kronos

Seaman Apprentice
While you are messing with it, ensure that the passageway between it and the water pickup is clear which is below the AV plate; a little slot with a hole in the back of it in the leading edge of the LU casting. When you had the LU off you should have noticed a tube running down to it.....which connected to the back side of this fitting if that's what it is and seems to be so. On my 90 the fitting was up near the clamp bracket top.

I'm not planning to use it, so guess it safe to just let it be? Or any other reason it should be checked?