1998 Mercury 225 3.o Carb ECU rebooting

Alan Hardesty

Recruit
My outboard's ECU re-boots at random times when running at higher RPM's (usually) and when engine in at operating temp. More detail: The single computer tone sounds just like the key were turned on for the initial computer test... If the engine is running at speed (3-5K RPM) this happens so quickly and the engine immediately looses all ignition (Think ECO is re-booting), the tone sounds, and the engine continues to run due to momentum... I have installed a few parts in the attempts to correct this issue.

Maintenance history;
2 Batteries (Mar 2016) Due to failed batteries
Alternator (Mar2016) (hot enough to cook an egg - believe may have failed due to failed batteries
Stator (Mar 2016) also due to failed alternator and batteries

Didn't notice problem last fall and this spring... maybe due to cool weather (didn't use boat a lot due to moving)
Fuel and oil cap gaskets, Fuel Lines and filters (Jul 2017) (Tune up)
Spark Plugs gapped .035 (Jun 2017) champion part number and gap according with shop manual (Tune up)

Replaced parts or maintenance:
Replaced ECU (Jul 2017) (from working engine)
Replaces Stator
Checked all ground connections for corrosion recoated with sealant
Load tested batteries at motor starter relay. (Over 350CCA)
Replaced ignition switch
Battery voltage reads ~12.7 until engine starts, it steadily climbs to around 14.1 in about 3-4 seconds I guess. Voltage never changes unless I engage tilt/trim motor (lowers to 12-13) no correlation to rebooting, when the ECU does reboot voltage stays steady. (wife was watching closely)

Planning
Disconnect kill wire from motor harness and test.
replace CDM Modules (used from working motor) ... next week.

thanks for your help

Alan Hardesty

Recruit
I replaced cdm modules. Ran great for 20 minutes then started a new symptom. It started to miss on number 1 cylinder. Put on a timing light and see intermittent spark. Stayed same with new plug and different CDM. Wiggle wires seems to change but not sure if wiring bad but possible I guess. I removed all the plastic conduit and tape and inspected connector. It all seems fine.