Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Simple Method Of Shift Shaft Setup For Mercury Outboards

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Method Of Shift Shaft Setup For Mercury Outboards

This is how I do it in about 60 sec.: Turn the LU shift shaft by hand counter-clockwise until it
    stops, then with Vise Grips tight on the bottom of the shaft turn it a
    few more degrees CCW until it clicks into a stop, this
    should be neutral - check by turning propshaft --
    prop should spin freely.
    Put control in N and go ahead and attach LU to driveshaft housing some turning of the flywheel will help the DS splines align.
    Do not shift into reverse unless you turn the prop at the same time.

Originally posted by merc850 View Post
    This is how I do it in about 60 sec.: Turn the LU shift shaft by hand counter-clockwise until it
    stops, then with Vise Grips tight on the bottom of the shaft turn it a
    few more degrees CCW until it clicks into a stop, this
    should be neutral - check by turning propshaft --
    prop should spin freely.
    Put control in N and go ahead and attach LU to driveshaft housing some turning of the flywheel will help the DS splines align.
    Do not shift into reverse unless you turn the prop at the same time.
    Well said!
    If you are new to boating or have a new boat, a knowledgeable friend could show you how to operate your boat and save you a lot of grief, maybe some money, and maybe your life.

Comment

Just went thru that on my 1979 Mariner 90. Had to move the lever slightly to Forward while "pushing" up on the lower to get the coupling splines from the upper coupling to align. I like this method better than "the book" version of leaving lever in Forward now
      2002 Bryant 188 4.3MPI

Comment

Working...
      X