488 engine

cmcbob

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1985 century with twin 488's both engines started up ,after setting 3yrs,i have not had boat in water,just bought it .
problem,i filled both cooling systems up ,with engines not running and one held water the other one leaked out to where I don't know .
the engines do have the 4"cooling tanks.before I pay some body 65.00 hr to tell me its a rubber hose I thought id ask here.

My first guess is the heat exchanger was not drained on the seawater side, and it is damaged. If so it will leak coolant out the drive water pickup.

Isolate either the coolant side or the seawater side and pressure test it. If so it can most likely be repaired.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Yeah, do a compression check and check the engine waterpump weep hole while the engine is running and up to temp. The hole is on the lower starboard side of the pump.

cmcbob

Seaman Apprentice
thanks im getting a pressure checker today .in worse case, if weep hole, is it hard to change out seal does engine have to be taken out .it runs out so fast from tank and we see just few drops at weep hole .oil is clear as new oil.if seawater side where will water run out?

Last edited:

cmcbob

Seaman Apprentice
thanks im getting a pressure checker today .in worse case, if weep hole, is it hard to change out seal does engine have to be taken out .it runs out so fast from tank and we see just few drops at weep hole .oil is clear as new oil.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If you didn't see it come out the exaust and you didn't find it inside the boat then it went inside the motor. keep filling until you see it run out of someplace