Running on a stand

NHGuy

Captain
I'm about to run my 5.7 Thunderbolt IV carburetor motor out of the boat on a stand. I will be running in a new cam and flat lifters.
Do I need a tach hooked up? Seems to me I remember someone had a problem with his motor not running without the gray wire attached.
I have a little tach, a temp gun, a volt meter and a mechanical oil gauge so I can keep an eye on things while doing this.
And I have the water hook up all set.

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Running on a stand

I'm about to run my 5.7 Thunderbolt IV carburetor motor out of the boat on a stand. I will be running in a new cam and flat lifters.
Do I need a tach hooked up? Seems to me I remember someone had a problem with his motor not running without the gray wire attached.
I have a little tach, a temp gun, a volt meter and a mechanical oil gauge so I can keep an eye on things while doing this.
And I have the water hook up all set.

No tach required. Only gray wire that needs to be connected is the one which goes to the amplifier.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

its best to set the motor on blocks on the ground and support it from above with a chain, just in case anything goes wrong its stable on blocks and close to the ground

NHGuy

Captain

I did something like that, without the chain though. Took 2x10's and made a stepped rectangle cradle. My lifting device is a chainfall in the garage rafters. Since I don't want to breathe the exhaust in the garage I'll put the cradle in the truck and run the boat engine out in the driveway.
Well I'm going to, when my 2nd riser gasket gets here.
I was really dying to do my cam run-in. May is launch month around here.

CaptainMak

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did my test about a month ago. Had it on a pallet with wood blocks, secured down by some ratchet straps. Made it easy to move the whole setup with a pallet jack.

The engine definitely jerks around when giving it some throttle so use caution.

Newfound Lake was my fave growing up in NH. That and Sunapee. Never seen a lake as clear as those two.

NHGuy

Captain

yah, Newfound was supposedly the clearest anywhere back in the day. I bet it still is darn close to best. Mountain fed baby.
Ratchet straps, good thinking, I will do that!