1997 4.3 with alpha 1 gen 2 outdrive noise

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok a friend of mine has a 1997 searay with a 4.3 mercruiser and alpha 1 gen 2 outdrive, after sitting all winter we fire it up and after a few minutes we start smelling a "hot metal" smell. kinda like a hot clutch or brakes. and a sound that resembles a dry bearing noise. oil pressure and level is fine. but the engine bay really smelled of this "hot" smell. I thought maybe gambal bearing but from what I have read maybe not... but not sure. and noise is present in neutral and in gear, any suggestions guys????

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1997 4.3 with alpha 1 gen 2 outdrive noise

pull the drive to check and isolate the noise. can test run the motor just by using a hose in the water inlet hole

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok sounds like a plan. if it quits with the drive removed then its in the outdrive. but how can I test the outdrive to determine the source?

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer

check the out drive oil and report the condition.

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class

oil is perfect. it was just serviced prior to spring start up. and rechecked after noise and smell. still full and not contaminated.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

pull the drive to isolate it. growling, marbles in a coffee can are signs os a bad gimbal bearing from water intrusion. ask your friend if his bilge pump was running.
Shift into full fwd, remove the rams, 6 nuts and slide right off. If it dosent just slide right off, the shaft is rusted to the gimbal bearing and will require additional steps

Last edited:

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class

pull the drive to isolate it. growling, marbles in a coffee can are signs os a bad gimbal bearing from water intrusion. ask your friend if his bilge pump was running.
Shift into full fwd, remove the rams, 6 nuts and slide right off. If it dosent just slide right off, the shaft is rusted to the gimbal bearing and will require additional steps

plan to pull the drive Tuesday afternoon. thanks for your help. I sorta thought it was bad gimbal bearing, but after some reading I thought I understood that gimbal bearing only would make a noise when turning the wheel left to right. but this one constantly. also a key piece of info was this boat sat in storage for 4-5 years not being used. im thinking grease in bearing was old and after a good workout it toasted the gimbal bearing. a horrible smell and smoke filled the engine compartment. and the noise started. will update as the project progresses..

cr2k

Captain

Smell and smoke can also be signs of the coupler going bad. Before you replace the drive you NEED to check alignment.

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class

pulled the outdrive, found bad gimbal bearing, it had completely disentigrated.