Re: Mercruiser 3.0L - Do they all have electronic ignition?

Nichols10

Recruit

Question...

I have a 1987 Bayliner Trophy with a 3.0 mercruiser. I want to convert it over to electronic ignition. Where do I look the engine numbers so I can order the correct ignition assy?

Bondo

Staff member

Question...

I have a 1987 Bayliner Trophy with a 3.0 mercruiser. I want to convert it over to electronic ignition. Where do I look the engine numbers so I can order the correct ignition assy?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... There should be a little aluminum plate riveted to the block, just above the starter,...

Post a picture of what you've got,...

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you check your points each spring and replace as necessary I don't see why points aren't just as good,does anybody else have a reason why this is not so?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

87 Bayliners all had OMC drive systems no Merc. Do you have a Cobra drive with an ESA?

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you check your points each spring and replace as necessary I don't see why points aren't just as good,does anybody else have a reason why this is not so?

I'm with ya on this point but most don't want to mess with it. Get in and go anytime. But there are benefits both ways. Points are low dollar and a little time. Electronic, fine until it fails, then $$ and chasing down exact problem. I have several motors (not just a boat) with points and can pin point the problem quickly. But my motor bike with electronic, service manual always leads back to: Try a known good part!