Alternatives to Mercruiser sea water pressure sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony63

Recruit
Hi, I have a 2009 6.2l mercruiser horizon with bravo sterndrive. I have had it since 2011. Over the weekend my third sea water pressure sensor failed. I have had two mercruiser mechanics tell me they are a regular failing part. Is there any other replacement than the mercruiser genuine costing over $100 and only lasting less than a year?
The sensor is the one on the power steering cylinder.
thanks
Tony

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Alternatives to Mercruiser sea water pressure sensor

Look around on the sensor and see if you can find any markings or numbers, or a manufacturer name...

alldodge

Staff member

Hi, I have a 2009 6.2l mercruiser horizon with bravo sterndrive. I have had it since 2011. Over the weekend my third sea water pressure sensor failed. I have had two mercruiser mechanics tell me they are a regular failing part. Is there any other replacement than the mercruiser genuine costing over $100 and only lasting less than a year?
The sensor is the one on the power steering cylinder.
thanks
Tony

:welcome: to iboats Tony

The sensors do fail but are you sure it's on the power steering cylinder. Not saying your incorrect but most are on the sea water pump.
raw_water_pump sensor.jpg

alldodge

Staff member

Has anyone tried to clean the opening on the sensor? Also are you in salt water?

There are 3 pins on the connector A (BLK/BRN). B (GRY) and C (BK BLU/YEL)
Readings should red as follows at 70 degrees
A to B 31.5 ohms
A to C 42.9 ohms

Worst comes to worst it could be bypassed

Fun Times

Staff member

Hi there, welcome to iboats.:) Do you recall what the color is of the water pressure sensor body? Black or White? The white bodied sensors are an older style that had some problems while the black ones are a newer type that should be giving you less problems when bought from MerCruiser.

Black bodied MerCruiser part # 8M6000623

AD, the older engine models put the sensor in the impeller housing like you show above, later model engines installed the water PSI sensor in the power steering cooler near the rear of the engine.;)

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

manuals 33 and 36 show these colors for the seawater pump sensor
Untitled3_zps4e7e8b4b.jpg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

a trip to radio shack , soldering iron and issue solved. Just remember to keep one eye on the water temp gauge.

Pete104

Lieutenant

You can bypass or eliminate it whatever you want to do. But the water proof plug is why you are going thru so many. On top of that, poor manufacturing on Sea Ray, they are supposed build a somewhat "waterproof" environment.

Get a replacement 3 prong with a fresh watertite seal on it and fix it right once & for all!

Merc did have issues with those sender, as earlier stated. Water ran down off the plug and the sender eventually allowed water to enter & all hell breaks loose. Those senders should be long gone, unless those are the ones your buying.

I'm willing to bet, if you pull that plug, you won't see the blue or purple maybe pink moisture seal in the sender or on the plug!

Tony63

Recruit

:welcome: to iboats Tony

The sensors do fail but are you sure it's on the power steering cylinder. Not saying your incorrect but most are on the sea water pump.
View attachment 227915

yes it is definitely on adjacent the power steering, I think it is a cooler for the power steering hydraulics.

Tony63

Recruit

Has anyone tried to clean the opening on the sensor? Also are you in salt water?

There are 3 pins on the connector A (BLK/BRN). B (GRY) and C (BK BLU/YEL)
Readings should red as follows at 70 degrees
A to B 31.5 ohms
A to C 42.9 ohms

Worst comes to worst it could be bypassed

Thanks, I haven't tried cleaning it as yet, but will do this weekend. I am in salt water all the time. When it failed last weekend the SmartCraft guage was greyed out like no signal, then it went full scale 32psi I think, then it seemed to operate OK for the last 20 minutes of our second trip. then next day on return trip it was greyed again. Probably sounds like electrical problem with water ingress.

The temp guage is working OK so might be easiest to bypass.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

you may want to check with VeeThree. I believe they have a contract to supply gauges to Brunswick (Mercruiser)

Tony63

Recruit

Hi there, welcome to iboats.:) Do you recall what the color is of the water pressure sensor body? Black or White? The white bodied sensors are an older style that had some problems while the black ones are a newer type that should be giving you less problems when bought from MerCruiser.

Black bodied MerCruiser part # 8M6000623

AD, the older engine models put the sensor in the impeller housing like you show above, later model engines installed the water PSI sensor in the power steering cooler near the rear of the engine.;)
=======================
Mine is a black body sensor, part number as above, and I bought them all from authorised Mercruiser dealers.

achris

If you can find ANY markings on the sensor, please post. If this is a commonly failing part, it would be fantastic to get the spec on it and get a second (more reasonably priced) option. I found a 'standard automotive part' for my engine. Merc want over $220 for the IAC, Autozone have then for $45....

Chris....

JustJason

Vice Admiral

If you can find ANY markings on the sensor, please post. If this is a commonly failing part, it would be fantastic to get the spec on it and get a second (more reasonably priced) option.I found a 'standard automotive part' for my engine. Merc want over $220 for the IAC, Autozone have then for $45....

I don't know how many cars are running around with water pressure sensors.... nor do I see why they would even need one.

achris

I don't know how many cars are running around with water pressure sensors.... nor do I see why they would even need one.

I'm not saying we'd find it in the automotive world, but we will find it. Merc don't make everything on the engine, in fact they make very little. I was looking for the Canbus connector, Merc want a crazy amount of money for it. I did a little digging and found out the manufacturer and got it direct, for $11.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

I'm not saying we'd find it in the automotive world, but we will find it. Merc don't make everything on the engine, in fact they make very little. I was looking for the Canbus connector, Merc want a crazy amount of money for it. I did a little digging and found out the manufacturer and got it direct, for $11.

I hear what your saying. I'm guessing GM/Delphi probably makes it, but finding out the OEM for the OEM is industry trade secret type stuff. But if it's not used in another application other than a Mercruiser engine the chances of sourcing it anyplace else other than Mercuiser are slim to none.

achris

I hear what your saying. I'm guessing GM/Delphi probably makes it, but finding out the OEM for the OEM is industry trade secret type stuff. But if it's not used in another application other than a Mercruiser engine the chances of sourcing it anyplace else other than Mercuiser are slim to none.

It's like the trim pump. That's made by Parker-Oildyne. I found I can buy those parts cheaper than Merc. The spark plugs are NGK, the serpentine belt is Gates, a lot of engine parts are GM.... Bearings are Timken or NSK or SKF, the Starter motor is Delco, as is the alternator (or Mando).... All the connectors on the new engines are Delphi.... Most of these things can be tracked down to the original supplier. We do that, we cut Merc (and their huge profit margin) out of the equation. Then everybody can save a lot of money... That, after all, is what these forums are about... So, if the OP can get any markings from the sensor, post them here and I'll try and find out about them.... We have nothing to lose by trying, and everything to gain... As I said, these sensors will not be Merc specific, they will be 'off the shelf' items.... We just need to find out which shelf... No harm in trying.

If you think they are Mercruiser specific, think again. I had the crank angle sensor out of my engine a while ago... Found some numbers on it and put it in google.... Turns out they are not Merc, or GM, or Delphi, they are made by the thousands, in China, and completely open to the public to buy... And at a fraction of what Merc ask for them....

Chris......

Last edited:

JustJason

Vice Admiral

In order to try to find out the first thing you have to ask yourself is what other application would use that part. CKP's, IAC's, and all of those other sensors are all used in cars. But water pressure sensors are not.

If you can figure out what else might use a water pressure sensor I would say your 75% of the way there.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Brunswick and Volvo Penta are simply integrators.

Motors from GM, Heat exchangers from Alfa Laval (formerly Champ) or Sen-dure or Monitor, Gauges from VeeThree or Faria.

yes, the trim power unit is an oildyne 108.

achris

In order to try to find out the first thing you have to ask yourself is what other application would use that part. CKP's, IAC's, and all of those other sensors are all used in cars. But water pressure sensors are not.

If you can figure out what else might use a water pressure sensor I would say your 75% of the way there.....

:facepalm: I never said we'd find it the automotive world... But it would be helpful to start with any markings the sensor has....

Status
Not open for further replies.