Distributor

clasavi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
have a 1998 mercuries 350 EFI MPI
Engine Serial OL067176
Sterndrive OL153367

When installing the distributor shaft do I want the engine on tdc or at 10 degree?

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Distributor

have a 1998 mercuries 350 EFI MPI
Engine Serial OL067176
Sterndrive OL153367

When installing the distributor shaft do I want the engine on tdc or at 10 degree?

Ayuh,.... Motor at Tdc, rotor pointin' at the #1 tower of the cap,....

MikDee

Banned

Be sure you're on #1 at TDC, (compression, valves closed). The Crank set at TDC could also be #6 the opposing cylinder on small block Chevy's (no compression, valves open). Or, vice versa, check for this, that's the way it is on a 4-Cycle engine

clasavi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I can't see to get it right. When I put wot it backfires and bugs down. What am I doing wrong?

Is the grove on the harmonic balancer tdc when lined up with the mark on the block?

clasavi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes but maybe I don't know what im going. Are there any instructions on here. I would say that the fact it cranks It's an improvement.

What do I do after that

Last edited:

clasavi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The stores are closed and I don't have a timing tool. Can someone tell me which two color wires need to be looped in order to put it in timing mode?

Bondo

Staff member

The stores are closed and I don't have a timing tool. Can someone tell me which two color wires need to be looped in order to put it in timing mode?
350 EFI MPI

Ayuh,.... I maybe wrong, but I believe with yer motor, ya stab the distributor as I said above,....

'n the computer times the motor after that,....

Without a timin' light, you won't have a clue anyways,...

Do ya have the Manual for yer motor,..??
It might be available up in Don'S Adults Only section, at the top of the forum,...

wrench 3

Commander

If you have a sensor on the lower corner of the starboard side of the timing cover, the computer uses that to adjust the ignition timing. Hence, when you turn the distributor you're not changing when the coil produces a spark. However, you are controlling which cylinder the spark goes too. Normally you would use a scan tool to adjust the synchronization. Instead of that you may be able to get it to run right by trial and error. If it starts running bad when the RPM rises, most likely when the computer advances the timing the spark is going to one cylinder ahead of the one it was going to. So you need to rotate the distributor counterclockwise until the spark returns to the proper cylinder.
Move it a little bit at a time and test it out on the water between each adjustment.

thumpar

Admiral

Make sure you have the firing order correct also.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

UntitledTim_zps8ed4a575.jpg