1981 wellcraft novw 11 twin 260's alpha 1's

buzzm19

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi people, I have recently changed over my exhaust system from logs to osco center risers. Everything is new including the thermostat housings I know a lot of manifactures include parts so that there is a couple different applications. My question is what is the purpose of the brass sleeve above the thermostat. I am running an open system not a closed system. Something as small as that can cause major problems. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Buz

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 1981 wellcraft novw 11 twin 260's alpha 1's

Usually to hold the thermostat in place, so it doesn't rattle around in the housing.

buzzm19

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Chris, maybe I haven't been crystal clear on my question. That sleeve blocks all water to the lower inlet that is the main feed for the exhaust manifolds. So if you don't have any flow to the exhaust until the motor warms up those manifolds are going to get smoking hot and then get a rush of 140 degrese water from the motor. My guess that sleeve is for a closed water system. The main thermostat housing is smaller than the thermostat itself so the thermostat can't move. When I take the sleeve out there is a passage that will flow water to feed the exhaust till the thermostat opens and then you get a mix flowing to the exhaust. In my common sense thats how I think this system works. Thanks Buz

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Ah, that's not a Merc system, right? In which case you need to refer to the manufacturer or the instructions (if any :facepalm:) that came with the kit.

Chris.....