HELP !! 1987 Merc 3.7 Oil Problem on the River

ewpvic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just slowed down to take temp readings (IR vs dash gauge) and oil was coming up out of the dipstick...immediately went back to dock..????

Temp at sender was 161......riser......162........temp at valve cover was 200.

No performance loss or odd engine noises. Oil appeared normal, but a tad low.

PLEASE HELP!!!

E

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: HELP !! 1987 Merc 3.7 Oil Problem on the River

You were getting a sone pressure build up in the crankcase. On the 470 the dipstick goes all the way to the bottom of the pan so that you can suck the oil out of the pan when you do an oil change. So when it is running if you have a little blow by the pressure will build in the crankcase and push the oil up out of the dipstick tube. The pressure is supposed to be relieved by gasses escaping out of the valve cover through the tube that goes to the flame arrestor. If it is running the pressure may not be relieved fast enough and you get some pressure buildup. So, check the oil. Is it milky or does it look normal? Has the level changed? Did it just kind of overflow out, or did it come gushing out?

ewpvic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Geez, Terry. You must be my guardian.

It wasn't GUSHING out. A good rate of overflow, though. Oil looks and feels normal......??

What about my temps? Do they look alright? Is the high temp on the valve cover something to worry about?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Temps look fine. Valve cover might be a little high, don't know, might be from the exhaust. There should be a clear plactic hose running from a fitting on the valve cover to the flame arrestor. Make sure that tube is claer and make sure the fitting on the valve cover is clear. You could try starting it on muffs and pull the hose off the top of the valve cover to see if air comes out.

ewpvic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I cleaned the valve cover breather hose AND the flame arrestor. Checked oil level and added. Took it back out for an hour pulling a tube. No more oil gushing.

What would cause that valve cover to get so hot, though? Everywhere else seems to indicate that the engine is running PLENTY cool.

Definitely time for new gauges. I really can't tell what is ACTUALLY going on with my engine, and I don't like that.

Thanks for the tips!

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I cleaned the valve cover breather hose AND the flame arrestor. Checked oil level and added. Took it back out for an hour pulling a tube. No more oil gushing.

What would cause that valve cover to get so hot, though? Everywhere else seems to indicate that the engine is running PLENTY cool.

That is good. Well you have uncooled exhaust gasses leaving the engine through the valves and exhaust manifold so that may be causing the cover to get hot. The main thing is the coolant temperature and you are spot on there.