Bad exhaust Bellows?

SirSmegalot

Cadet
Mercruiser 3.0 with alpha one outdrive

History:
Bellows replaced 3 years ago
ONE month ago I replaced the water impeller which made it run much cooler, and thats still great (but of course it meant i had to remove the lower unit)

So im going across the lake at 30mph and my trim switch doesnt always work so sometimes I use the Trailer button to raise the bow.
I raised it a little, fine, a little more and then suddenly theres a 'hole in the exhaust' noise, kind of a wooooooooaaah that wasnt there before.
SO I lower the bow all the way down and its still there but I notice that around the top of the outdrive theres alot more 'splash' than there was as you can see from the video below, it was never like this until this incident.

im thinking exhaust bellows? seems like the exhaust isnt coming out from where it should

Ideas please, im kind of in despair mode right now

VIDEO:
Bad exhaust bellow? - YouTube

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Bad exhaust Bellows?

It's possible the exhaust bellows came off from one side or the other. You can put it back on... but it is not an emergency situation.

SirSmegalot

Cadet

Do you think that would cause those symptoms? Loud exhaust and blowing water up from around those areas which it didnt do before?

IM a bit worried about a leak too, last time i had a leak that allowed water into the area under the engine it was the bellows

Last edited:

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Yes on the symptoms - I watched your video and it seems like the exhaust is coming up as if the bellows has been disconnected.

No on the worry about leaking. A drive shaft bellows leak = worry! And money... and immediate replacement. Exhaust not so much. Water is in the exhaust bellows the moment you turn off the engine. No worries there.

theblob

Banned

Have you checked your trim limit switches.outdrive should only come up 6 1/2 to 6 3/4 inches.if wires are bad around switches you may have to replace,because if outdrive comes up to far there go's the other bellows or drive damage.you can adjust trim limit switches.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

false information ,again. bellows are not damaged by raising the drive all the way.

theblob

Banned

Please dont disreguard what i said.problems with trim can cause bellows to come loose and much more.when you get it out of the water hit trailer switch untill it stops,and measure the bottom on how far it came up.should not be more than 7 inches.and never start motor with drive all the way up.you may need to look into the trim problem further.

theblob

Banned

One main reason they come loose is because people will tighten clamps with a screw driver,when a ratchet will get clamp alot tighter.if installed properly shouldnt come loose.

cr2k

Captain

STORING with the drive up is hard on the bellows.
RUNNING with the drive too high is hard on the U-Joints.

Raising the drive all the way up will not do any damage to good bellows, they are designed to do that.

Too many people giving weird/bad info on here.

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Suggest you read the manuals before advising with incorrect information.
Untitledtttt_zps879870de.jpg

theblob

Banned

I know you made a thread about your bellows,but you may have a problem with trim,and that should be addressed,because we dont know who did the bellows job,and dont want any more damage to be done to drive.that stuff should be inspected any chance you have to check it.its better to be safe then sorry.you said only your trim works sometimes.will up and down not work alot or just up not work?

theblob

Banned

I have two different manuals that say measure from end cap to center of bolt.one book says 6 1/2 and other says 6 3/4.thats aftermarket book.does sound better with manual you have.by the way what kind?

Last edited:

SirSmegalot

Cadet

:( what have i started lol

So - I guess ill look into replacing or re-attaching the exhaust bellows
Im sure ill have to remove the outdrive but hopefully not the lower unit, some of those bolts were pretty rounded
thanks

achris

More fish than mountain goat

:( what have i started lol...

Just ignore 'theblob'. He sits at home and gets bored, so he comes on here to 'have fun'.... Unfortuanetly he roped me in and couple of threads got closed because of him...

As for your bellows. Just remove the stern drive as a complete unit and you have access to the exhaust bellows. In the stickies is a thread of home-made tools. Make up the exhaust bellows spreader and use that. It's the best way to get them on properly.

Chris...........

BTW, there's nothing wrong with running a drive trimmed up a little. That's what the trim system is designed for.... ;)

I have a VERY shallow bar I have to cross at one of my favourite fishing places. The only way to cross it is to have the drive in the FULL trailer UP position. I know it's hard on the unis, but I'm only at idle, and even then, I can feel the bottom of the boat bumping on the bar.... Done it many times, never had a bellows or a uni problem....

Last edited:

SirSmegalot

Cadet

ok well maybe it was a coincidence, I mean in order for my tri-hull to really sit up I have to lift the bow up otherwise theres so much drag from the front fuel economy goes down the toilet.

I have another month left on my slip lease, you think its ok to run it like this until its home and I can work on it?
I just noticed some water in the bilge when I got back so I was worried about a leak but that might have just been normal splash through the side vents

im a worrier :)

achris

I think you'd be fine to run like that. Just be aware it may damage the bellows further, but no other consequences should be expected... And that would not be the source of any water inside the boat...

SirSmegalot

Cadet

Great thanks!

I found your videos they look just the ticket for getting this done, so I wont be lazy i'll get it done. I dont like things being wrong when I can make them just right.
I also enjoyed your "Black People shouldn't have to work" video ha

Last edited:

achris

Great thanks!

I found your videos they look just the ticket for getting this done, so I wont be lazy i'll get it done. I dont like things being wrong when I can make them just right.
I also enjoyed your "Black People shouldn't have to work" video hahaha

I know the video you're referring to, but it's not mine (wish it was)... I think it just got linked in there somehow....

I'm very much the same as you... 'Good enough', isn't good enough... Get it right, or don't do it at all...

Chris.....

SirSmegalot

Cadet

how much force is required to expand the bellows when re attaching?
I dont have the equipment or skills to make one like in the stickies section, but I was thinking of modifying some BBQ tongs
Just depends how much outward force is required as to how sturdy they need to be

achris

BBq tongs might be ok... Try them and see...