Videos, water pump service on Alpha One Gen II

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Videos, water pump service on Alpha One Gen II

Nice job Chris, my only comment would be in part A you said the impeller has been there for 7 years and you wouldn't have a problem (or something to the effect) leaving it in. Also you said this is the first time you have disassembled the drive in those 7 years. Every place I see discussion about the impeller on this forum is that it needs to be checked about every two years if not every year.

But very nice job

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Nice job Chris, my only comment would be in part A you said the impeller has been there for 7 years and you wouldn't have a problem (or something to the effect) leaving it in. Also you said this is the first time you have disassembled the drive in those 7 years. Every place I see discussion about the impeller on this forum is that it needs to be checked about every two years if not every year.

But very nice job

Thanks. Yes, that's the first time in 7 years I've opened that drive, but I also said the impeller should be checked every 300 hours (as per Merc service manual). I said I wouldn't have a problem leaving it there if it was only 3 years old, but at 7 I'm replacing it... Checking of the impeller every year or 2 is for the old short vane pump, aka, MC-1 to Alpha One.

Chris.......

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Merc states in the Gen II owners manual to disassemble, inspect, and replace parts as necessary every 3 years or 300 hours. I couldn't imagine splitting the drive and not replacing the impeller. If you want to go longer, that's a personal point. But don't wait 7 years just because Chris got away with it. Many don't get away with it.

I also have a problem with reusing the quad ring . It comes in the impeller kit, along with the lower plate and impeller.

I would also suggest when putting the drive back together, before filling, pressure check the drive. Then you know things are right and not leaking instead of finding out the hard way (water in the drive).

Holes in the lower plate are all the same size, the plate however can only fit one way. I do use the pins. Couple metric bolts with the heads cut off. Just to hold things in place. Put the impeller on the shaft with the key lubed with dish liquid, then slide the pump housing down against the pump, turn the shaft clockwise and push the shaft and bingo, it slide over the impeller. No careful looking under the pump to see if the key is lined up. Then when tightening down the housing, just make sure the housing isn't touching the shaft when you pull up on the shaft.

Thanks as always... :encouragement:

It's always good to have a quality reference we can give people who are nervous to fix their own engines and drives..

achris

Hi guys,

I'd like to clarify a couple of things...

Firstly, yes I did run 7 years without opening the drive. That's because I know a few things. I know exactly where I run my boat. I don't run in silty water or in water so shallow I suck up a lot of sand and mud. I NEVER dry run the impeller, and I know exactly how the engine temperature on my engine runs. The slightest variation would have seen the water pump checked earlier. Engine oil and filter get done on the money according to the service schedule (every 50 hours for oil/100 hours for filter) and despite it being 7 years, it was still only 300 hours (as per the service manual). My previous drive was the same, but the water pump impeller went 500 hours in 7 years (and was still in pristine condition). You can do that with the Gen IIs because of that long vane impeller. I totally agree that with the old short vane impellers 2 years MAX....

So, before you go biting my head off, check the facts, they are all in the videos.....

Chris..........

ponchoman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It all seemed straightforward, and well explained. Good job!

Manny503

Seaman Apprentice

Hi All,

Couple of new videos for your perusal. I did it in 2 parts because it was just easier that way. :D

Alpha One Gen II water pump service (Part A)

Alpha One Gen II water pump service (Part B)

Have a look and see what you think.

If there's ok, we can asked Mr Don very nicely to unlock the stickie and I can add them to there...

Chris.........
EDIT: Don just added them to the stickie... :D :D

Hey Achris i just wanna thank you for all your help..!!! ive been watching all your youtube videos on the alpha and i already feel like a total pro :) lol i wish :) but really, replacing the water pump on my alpha one was a piece of. Cake with your video., now im still waiting for some seals for my upper unit and ill be ready to put it back. Im a lil afraid i wont be able to do it, but i will have my lap top next to me playing your video on how to do it and just follow step by step thank you very much for taking your time on doing all this videos and helping and saving money to newbies like me :) thanks chrisa660 . ✌️

Manny.

achris

Glad to be of assistance. To do the seals in the top box, just follow the directions in the manual (that's all I do ;))