3.7 mercruiser speedi-sleeve for cam shaft

searcyfarms

Seaman Apprentice
I have read several posts for the camshaft issues being scored from the seals and causing leaks. I replaced the seals in my 488 mercruiser last year and it held for about 5 days or 20 hours of use and I did notice a bit of a grove in the camshaft but it didnt seem horrible so I just used emery cloth to smoothing things down a little and take the roughness off. Looks like the speedi-sleeve is going to be required.

I have not found in any of the posts the size of the speedi-sleeve that would work for this. I do not have one of those measuring caliper things does anyone know what size they used for this repair?

thanks in advance, this is my first post so I look forward to hearing back.

This was also my first attempt at boat repair and well it didnt go so well obviously ha!!!

Robert

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 3.7 mercruiser speedi-sleeve for cam shaft

I could quote you the Speedi-Sleeve size that I just used on a 470 BUT, depending upon the amount of wear/pitting on YOUR camshaft, the size may vary.

Visit your local auto parts store and borrow/rent a dial caliber to obtain the dimensions of your camshaft. Be advised that you will require TWO sleeves as the standard sleeves are not long enough to cover both seal areas.

Oh...and Welcome to iBoats !!!

Edit:

Upon further consideration and an effort to provide a starting point:

The Speedi-sleeves that I used were

SKF p/n 99087 for a journal measuring between 0.873" to 0.877".

Luckily both of my seal journals required the same sleeve. I would advise procuring at least one extra sleeve as they are extremely delicate and are easily damaged, especially if you are not experienced with their installation.

Best of luck to you.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Not saying this happened, but were the seals facing the right way? Both seals should be facing forward (the garter spring side facing forward) toward the coolant. Also for critical parts like seals it is always a good idea to spend the extra bucks and go with the OEM Mercruiser parts. Good luck.

searcyfarms

Seaman Apprentice

Not saying this happened, but were the seals facing the right way? Both seals should be facing forward (the garter spring side facing forward) toward the coolant. Also for critical parts like seals it is always a good idea to spend the extra bucks and go with the OEM Mercruiser parts. Good luck.

Well, I cant remember cause that was last summer. I will have a report when I take it apart and see if I got them in there that way.

I will have nothing but hard evidence when I get the booger back apart, might try this weekend if its warm enough in the barn where I have to work. Its been cold here with 2 feet of snow in teh past two weeks but hoping for warmer days. Have to get the ole boat ready for snagging season here in april so want to get it apart and back together and tested before I head off to the lake for that.

Thanks for the heads up on the install. I will give it a look see. Also I saw a couple posts about some other seals that had a double flange/lip on the rubber part that seals to the shaft, are those the oem style or?

I dont remember my shaft being pitted terribly bad but I do remember it being enough I could feel it and that is why I did smooth the shaft up with a bit of emery cloth but I dont remember what grit I had handy at the time. I did this work all under a shade tree with 100 degree temps while at the lake because the boat failed the first day of vacation and I had several unhappy children who couldnt ride their towables or ski so I was under a lot of pressure LOL.

I was busy making memories tearing a boat apart and it was quite a doozey of a job for me.

hopefully with your alls help I can get this resolved and it wont happen again.

searcyfarms

Seaman Apprentice

hey Eddie and Terry,

Have either of you converted your boats from points/condensor to a solid state mallory or sierra type igniton?

if so, comments regarding either or the conversion?

my old 488 still uses points/condensor

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Yeah, I went with the Petronix, works fine. Have to run right now, but will post details when I get back.

Ignitor II, 91146A for the Delco distributor with the Flamethrower II coil, 45011 (oil)l 45111 (epoxy). Pertronix Performance Products You will need to bypass the purple resistance wire from the choke with a stranded (not solid) wire to provide a full 12V to the coil. The plate for the Delco looks like this https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...tion-I2-DELCO-CW-4CYL-%2F200775444493;300;240 Make sure that one will fit your distributor.

searcyfarms

Seaman Apprentice

okay guys.....got the stuff torn apart, definately grooves in camshaft, I worked on the shaft to get it smoothed down cause it was pitted up between the grooves so I could get the speedi-sleeves installed. I now have my seals and gaskets ready to go on and you have me pondering....u mentioned the seals face the same direction, I had mine apart before and now I dont remember if I put them in right or how much I paid attention when I put it back togehter the first time. Well..........when u say the garter springs facing forward I presume you mean forward as opposed to aft? like the springs toward the enging or toward the front of the boat. for instance the crank shaft seal has the metal part that u hit on to drive in the seal facing outward/forward - if i knew how to post a dang pic i would do that - just wanted to make sure i put them back together this time, i took your advice and got an extra speedi sleeve in case i mess one up. I got some red thread lock to put on them to help hold them in place on the camshaft so I am fixn to mark the shaft and center the new sleeves over the grooves.

The speedi-sleeve size appears to be the correct one so thanks for that info!!!

I will keep you all posted as I go back together - Thanks, Robert

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

when u say the garter springs facing forward I presume you mean forward as opposed to aft? like the springs toward the enging or toward the front of the boat. for instance the crank shaft seal has the metal part that u hit on to drive in the seal facing outward/forward -

The garter spring side faces the stuff you want to keep in. In the case of the crank oil seal you want to keep the oil in, so the lip (garter spring side) faces the oil, toward the block with the metal part facing away from the block, just like you have it. For the cam seals (there are two) The front seal keeps the coolant in the pump, the real seal keeps any coolant that leaks out of the crankcase. So they both face forward (away from the block) toward the coolant, they face the opposite direction of the crank oil seal. This is how it works: The front seal keeps the pressurized coolant from leaking out of the pump, but if (when) that seal fails the coolant will leak past it into the space between the two seals. There is a weep hole between the two seals that allows the coolant to leak out of that space, and since there is no pressure on that coolant the rear seal, even if worn will still keep the coolant from entering he crankcase. One of the things that you will want to do is make sure that weep hole is clear so it can function properly.

searcyfarms

Seaman Apprentice

okay thanks terry............sound like I got it right the first time I replaced them as that is how they are facing and installed. My weep hole was thankfully clean because that is how I discovered the leak the first time and this time. And no water/antifreeze got into my crankcase. I am going to have to put some epoxy on one of the harmonic balancer magnets, its loose.

I did manage to get the speedi sleeves on the cam shaft before I got called in to a fire drill at work. I sure was not overly impressed with them. It sure would much nicer if they made a longer single bushing. The edges curl up very easy when u try to remove the drive on flange and it actually did not separate on the second one i got on so it was pretty curled on the edge and I went ahead and broke it to remove it and then put on the other one I ordered. they are so very thin they are very easy to scratch and or gouge as you are trying to pry hard to get the flange removed. If I was making them I would make them longer or so a person could order longer ones.

I hope it works when I am done cause if not I will most likely have to totally tear it down and replace the camshaft and lifters. I do not want to have to do that, it looks like quite a job.

I have everything cleaned and ready to put seals in housing and then gob on the black sealant for the front of the pan and get it back together.

That is where I currently at with it going back together.

I hope i got the sleeves in a good spot, they are close near as I can tell.