1997 Mercruiser 5.7 starter wiring

pernicia

Cadet
I need some help. I pulled the old starter, put the new one in. The new starter has 4 terminals, 1 is ground, 1 is hot from battery, 2 left to connect yellow/red. Which terminal does this go to?

Im typing on iphone so i cant get a picture uploaded

Motor serial # 0K009206

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1997 Mercruiser 5.7 starter wiring

There are NO ground terminals on the starter solenoid.

attachment.php

A gets the battery cable and usually 2 others. One from the alternator, and one to the circuit breaker.
B gets the yellow/red wire.
C gets nothing, it just power from the solenoid to the starter motor.
D would be a purple/yellow wire if equipped.

pernicia

Cadet

Don, thanks for the response. That is how I hook it up. I can hear the starter moving, still the boat wont crank. The wires to the battery get hot to the touch, is that a bad sign or is just the amount of current going to the starter?

Thanks

Jose

Don S

Hot wires are usually from loose connections and most likely bad cables. You also need a fully charged battery.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I can hear the starter moving, still the boat wont crank.

Not sure what you mean by that. If you mean the starter clunks but the engine does not turn over at all, then something is locked up. Bad sign! If that is the case, then pull the spark plugs and see if the engine will turn. Check for water on the plugs. If it is still seized, pull the outdrive and see if that is seized instead.

If you mean the engine will turn over and not start... then that is a different case. Clarify what you mean.

The wires to the battery get hot to the touch, is that a bad sign or is just the amount of current going to the starter?

That is a sign that something is wrong. If the engine is seized, as described above, then yes, the wires are going to overheat quickly. It could also be from loose connections.

EDIT: Don beat me to it. ;)

Don S

Cranking is what the starter does to the engine, starting, is what the engine does if it starts and runs.
So the engine is cranking over and not starting. Is it cranking over at normal sounding speed or slow?

How long since the engine ran last?

pernicia

Cadet

Is sounds like is cranckig at good speed. It worked 3 weeks ago until the starter died.

I had a similar issue before and the mechanic found that the ignition key was cutting the current, replaced that and installed a relay to step up the current, at least that's what he said.

Don S

If it sounds like it cranking over normally, the cable shouldn't get hot, but the starter will if you crank too long. Does the starter get hot.

Assuming for a minute that the engine is cranking normally and the engine is just not starting.
1. Do you have spark from the coil?
2. Does gas squirt from the carb (accelerator pump) if you activate the throttle linkage by hand ?

pernicia

Cadet

Starter gets hot, spark on coil also.

Is the oil pressure guage suposed to indicate presure when turning ignition on?

Don S

Poor a bit of gas in the carb and see if it starts.

And don't crank it so long that it overheats the starter.

Don S

Is the oil pressure guage suposed to indicate presure when turning ignition on?

No, if the engine isn't cranking, the oil pump is not turning. Therefore no oil pressure.