Thermostats in or out?

J.shade

Recruit
I own a 92 rinker 206 with a 4.3l murcruiser that my mechanic just put a new motor in.
He informed me that he did not install the thermostat sense i live in Pennsylvania and would only be running it in warm weather. Now I have no way of telling what temp the motor is running at because the temp gauge isn't hooked up. I'm just wondering if anyone else does this and should I be worried about overheating

Re: Thermostats in or out?

It should definately have the stat in. It's needed to regulate the temp of the block, too cold is not good either.

I worry about over heating all the time, and many other things...:D The temp gauge is definately a necessary piece on the boat as well as a volt gauge, and fuel gauge.

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I own a 92 rinker 206 with a 4.3l murcruiser that my mechanic just put a new motor in.
He informed me that he did not install the thermostat sense i live in Pennsylvania and would only be running it in warm weather. Now I have no way of telling what temp the motor is running at because the temp gauge isn't hooked up. I'm just wondering if anyone else does this and should I be worried about overheating

Deffinately install the t-stat. If you run without it, the engine will never come up to proper temp and "run cold". This cold engine condition causes excessive fuel consumption and contaminated oil because the oil doesn't get hot enough to "burn off" moisture that collects inside engine from condensation as engine cools, just to name a couple. The engines are designed to run "at temeperature", each being different. Run what the service manual states as the proper t-stat.

J.shade

Recruit

Thank you for your reply, that was my thought also. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing anything. Will def. Be installing thermostat!