Outdrive support clips for trailering?

iron21

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hi, i read in a boating magazine somewhere that it is a good idea to purchase "trailering clips" for trailering your boat. If you've never seen them, they are plastic clips that slide over the hydrolic rams and support the outdrive in the up position. I guess helping to reduce the strain on your hydrolic system when hitting bumps or whatever. I guess it makes sense, but do you actually need them?

surplusman

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Outdrive support clips for trailering?

Personally, I dont like the idea of the clips on the hydro rams. The outdrive can still be jarred from riding down the road. I use a transom saver. It supports the outdrive via a bracket that attaches to the trailer.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if ya cant get a transom saver in place, and most outdrives sit to low, by all means use trailering clips. you shouls see the drive damage when an old hydraulic line pops when your crusing down the highway at 65mph. having seen it I always reccomend them.<br /> I also reccomend a periodic inspection of all the lines.

surplusman

Seaman Apprentice

rodbolt, your right about that. I bought the shortest t-saver they had, borught it home to find that I could not get it stuffed in there. Nothing the band saw and drill couldnt fix. I shortened it a few more inches, and all is well.