Neutral Safety Switch problems

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Neutral Safety Switch problems

Please Delete this Reply in this Post Moderator, just found the Edit button.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Since you already have the starter out, disconnect the yellow/red wire from the starter.<br />Then hook a test light to the wire and hook the clip of the test light to a good ground.<br />Then hit the ignition key and see if the light lights up, if it doesn't, replace the slave solenoid.<br />That square thing is the 90 amp fuse, item g in the schematic above.<br /><br /> Click here for something really helpful. ;)

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Many, many thanks Don for the test light tip to check the slave solinoid. I'll do that in about an hour when I get home from work, and get my Uniform off, and can deal with it a little more.<br /><br />Now, while on patrol, I took that Mini starter by my Mechanic friend's house, and he hooked up the Starter to my Battery with Jumper Cables. It worked, but he commented that he thought it was weak, and said "I think you have found your problem." So with you telling me a tip to check the slave solinoid before putting the starter back in, I should know, and feel more confident before putting the starter back in. He said, at first he didn't realize I had a slave solinoid, but said he'd guess it is ok, because it wouldn't be clicking, every time like it is now. <br /><br />Don also thanks for the link, I had planned to purchase a Service Manual last time I went by the local Mercury Service Center, but was a little short on cash, after buying what I went for. I plan to get one next trip. I'll let you and the others know how this turns out, and I really appreciate the time everyone took to pitch in and help. ;)

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

OK, the tests are in and somethings fishy. Don I hooked up the test light like you said, then had the wife turn the key, no light. Then I remembered to turn back on the battery switch, because I turned it off when taking the Starter out. Another test, and still no light. So, I got to thinking maybe the other wires have to be hooked to the Starter, So I hooked the Power and fuse wires up, and got a brainstorm. I hooked all the wires back up, and put a Jumper Cable from the Starter frame to the Engine Block. Had the wife turn the key, and the Starter kicked the gear out and worked like it did with battery Cables. It wasn't hard to hold with one hand. <br /> So, this should mean that the Slave Solinoid is working, and the Starter is just to weak to turn the motor over, RIGHT? :confused: :rolleyes: <br />Oh well if it is the Starter, at least I didn't take it out for Nothing. :D Or am I overlooking something? <br /><br /> Again, thanks for all help, suggestions, and tips, and patience with my lack of knowledge. Any tips on making the Starter last longer (after I have this one professionally re-built) would also be appreciated.

Don S

Weeeeell, when I did the last reply, for some reason I assumed :rolleyes: for some strange reason the other wires were still hooked to the dangling starter. Which would have had all the hot wires (Main battery cable plus the red/purple wire)still hooked up. But since I had you disconnect the yellow/red wire the starter shouldn't have tried to turn, just the test light would work. <br />From the looks of the starter, there isn't anything wrong with it due to water or rust, but if you are going to get it repaired have them put a new solenoid on it. Either the slave or the starter solenoid is intermittent, and due to the starters location and fun it removing and reinstalling, it might be best to replace the solenoid. If the problem persists, replace the slave solenoid.

tommays

Admiral

G<br /><br />i thought from reading your post that the starter turned over the motor fine and you just had a sometimes click<br /><br />was it turning over slow when it worked<br /><br />the starter takes a lot of amps it could be a bad connection,bad battery,bad battery cable,ect<br /><br /><br />anything can go bad but 2003 is a pretty new starter but it could have a dead spot which also would result in the click your getting <br /><br /><br />tommays

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

:D I really want to take the time to say Thanks to all for your Help, Tips and Suggestions. Don it looks like I didn't waste my time pulling the Starter. Took it to the Starter Re-build shop and the man said when he opened the Solinoid, water came leaking out. I also told him of the bad positioning and make sure all was 100% because I didn't want to have to do it again. Including Tax $54.50 and I was done. He handed it back to me, and I had a little fun putting it back in. It was just hard because you couldn't get both arms down in the hole, so it was difficult holding the Starter and Stabbing the first bolt. Finally I had the bolt in my hand, held it in position, then held the wires connected to the Solinoid, to hold it in place, and Stabbed the Bolt. <br /><br /> First turn of the key and VAROOM, we are back in business. Thanks ALL. ;) :D :cool:

Don S

Glad you have your problem cured, even if it was the long way around of finding the problem.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

Now it's time to find out how the water got in there and try to keep it from happening again.

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Hello MUC, Your right, but I already know how the water got in there. Just so all else will know, when you turn your 1 Knob Winterization Knob and let all your water drain out when Winterizing. Make sure when it is through draining, to close the Valve back off, right then. Other wise you might Forget, and the next time you take your Boat out, your Engine may pump more water in your Engine Compartment than your Bildge pump can pump out. :rolleyes: The water got high enough to get into the Solinoid. At least the Starter made it through the whole Boating Season before it gave out. ;) I WON"T make that MISTAKE again. I was lucky, I just felt something was wrong, the rear was saggy and sluggish, the Water Temperature never got above normal.