7.4 engine temp

dausbury

Cadet
My Engine temp guage on my 7.4 is reading 100 to 120 during operation water temp is 85 degrees motor is a fresh water system. I have just completed the break in period and have a 160 degree thermostadt installed. Obviously this temp reading can not be accurate. What is the proper trouble shooting procedure to check the Guage, sender, thermostat?

Pete104

Lieutenant
Re: 7.4 engine temp

Sounds like the thermostat is stuck open. Can you feel different areas of the engine that are cold, warm or hot?

dausbury

Cadet
Re: 7.4 engine temp

The exhaust risers stay cooler than the engine I tested them by touch regularly to make sure that I was getting circulation. Even if the thermostat was stuck open the temp guage should read more than 100 to 120 shouldnt it? I tested the water temp sender by grounding it to the block with a screw driver after just shutting down the engine and the guage pegs. When I unground the temp guage goes back to about 120 which is about what the actual engine temp ought to be after just shutting it down. When I turn the ignition off then back on the temp guage does not come back up till I start the engine again then it gradually comes back to 120 when operating but no higher.