What Mercruiser outdrive?

AdamB

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I have a 1984 Wellcraft Elite 210, with rebuilt Chevy 350, and the original outdrive was replaced in 1993.<br /><br />The paperwork I received with the boat says rebuilt alpha, but can anybody confirm what outdrive by the following serial #: OB565444?<br /><br />Thanks in advance. Oh, the outdrive has been repainted and there are no stickers displayed anywhere. I need to order new gimble bearing and such...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What Mercruiser outdrive?

That serial number is for a 1987 Mercruiser MC1 drive with a 1.50:1 gear ratio.

AdamB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Don, appreciate the quick answer. Do you mean this is an alpha 1, or is it pre-alpha?

Bondo

Staff member

Alpha 1........<br />It'll have a "Flat" top cover.........<br />Pre-alpha, Mod.1s have the lifting "Eye" on the top cover........

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That is a standard rotation Alpha 1. The Drive you have is a 1.5:1 gear ratio.

AdamB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay thanks guys, I thought it was an Alpha, but the skeg protector (or whatever it is called) on the bottom doesn't match those I've seen in pictures. Maybe it was modified.<br /><br />This forum is great. Thanks again to all!!

Don S

It's NOT an Alpha I, it's called the Mercruiser One drive, it was prior to the R, and MR, but looks similar to the R & MR with the lifting eye on the top cover. And it probably looks similar to the drive below.<br /><br /><br />
drive_idprealphag.jpg

AdamB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay, now I'm confused. It does look like the above photo, with the exception that it doesn't have the lifting hook on the top cover. <br /><br />Don S, so you are saying this is a very old drive that the previous boat owner boat rebuilt in 1993?, and not a rebuilt alpha like on the sheet from the marina?<br /><br />The previous owner paid $2500 installed for this outdrive in '93.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Serial number 0B565444 IS a part number 01501017<br />Which tells me it is a MR or Alpha drive. Not an "R" or anything before.

Don S

If you have the flat cap, it's an Alpha.

AdamB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all your help...<br /><br />Okay, my top is flat, and the area around the vent isn't ribbed, so I guess this is an alpha. My skeg protector (if that's what it is called) looks like the gen I, I saw a gen II and knew mine didn't look like that.<br /><br />This pic below, is my outdrive supposed to have the trim tab below the cavitation plate, or is that an option?? Mine only has a round plate above the prop.<br /><br />
drive_idprealphag.jpg

tommays

Admiral

adam<br />the plate is a zink it comes round or with the tab to help the steering<br /><br /><br />tommays

AdamB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay, thanks everyone.