This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing the Alternator Belt on 3.0L mercruiser

I had the alternator belt shred on me the other day. I went to several sites to see if there was anything I needed to know about changing them since the front pully is damn near touching the front engine mount. The suggestion was to hook up a engine lift and raise the motor to change the belt. Are you kidding me? I called a friend of mine who works on boat engines and asked him what would be the easiest way. He looked at it and said to take the front pully off. I Changed the belt in 15min. I got a replacement from Pep boys by taking the old belt up there to try and match it to a new one, but Does anyone have the part numbers or where to get them for the belts needed to run the alternator and the power steering on my 98 3.0L? Would be appreciated.

Re: Changing the Alternator Belt on 3.0L mercruiser

how did you get the belt off with out removeing part of the front motor mount it traps it???most people put in a spare belt when changeing it and tie it out of the wayand auto store is a good way if you can match up the belt just keep buying the same one if it fitstommays
    If a dirty bottom slows you down what do think it does to your BOAT

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever
    http://cal29seafever.blogspot.com/
    1981 J24 Tangent 2930
    http://s565.photobucket.com/albums/s...%20for%20sale/
    Tommays
    Northport Ny

Comment

I did remover the motor mount. Sorry for not saying that. Not a bad idea of putting in the spare belt.

Comment

Did you get the parts number for the belt???

Comment

I did get the part number for the belt. Did you need it?

Comment

Yes. If your boat engine is the same as mine. I have a I/O 3.0l mercruiser with Alpha 1 outdrive. It would be a good reference if ever I should need to replace the belt. Thanks

Comment

Ditto Big Poppa G, I could use the number also, as My Carver has twin 140's. Thanks!!

Comment

I'll post it tonight when I get home. The number is in my garage. Remember its for the Alternator belt.

Comment

beezee28,interceptorHere is the information on the alternator belt. I bought it at PEP BOYS.15395DYNAFLEXHeavy Duty Automotive V-BeltBy DAYCOCost: $8.39Hope it helps.

Comment

Hi allIf the 3.0 is anything like the 3.7 with a little manipulation you can actually get the belt on without taking off anything in about 5 to 10 mins... I just pushed the belt down on the sides of the pulley and then pulled the belt down on both sides and it went through with no damage to the belt..few scuffs but no fraying or anything significant...

Comment

Tried as hard as I could without damage but the front pully is too close to the front engine mount. Removing the pully was the only way to get enough clearance. At least on the 3.0.

Comment

Bummer...that does'nt sound fun at all! The clearance on mine is narrower than the belt but I was able to at least get it through....The worst part was that the belt that fit mine was $18.

Comment

You win on one........you lose on the other.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPoppaG View Post
                            I did remover the motor mount. Sorry for not saying that. Not a bad idea of putting in the spare belt.
                            What is involved with removing the engine mount enough to get the belt in place, are special tools required, etc?

Daryl

Comment

OLD Thread
                              October 2004

If you have a question, start a new thread, don't just tack onto an old thread or ask it on someone elses thread.
                              Don S.

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                              That is what the forums are for.
                              Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Working...
                              X