5.0L Mercruiser Water Pump...HELP

jgermann

Cadet
I tried to take my boat out yesterday for the first time this year and the water pump started squealing and water started spraying out of the bottom of the seal. I have been told to buy a water pump from NAPA or Autozone for a car. There is a Marine parts store not too far down the road, and I am guessing a marine water pump is better. With they bolt up the same? Is there much difference (other than price) or should I not even consider one for a car?

mkast

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 5.0L Mercruiser Water Pump...HELP

Is there much difference (other than price) or should I not even consider one for a car?

The automotive pump will have heater hose fittings, I'm guessing your boat won't use this.
The marine pump uses a stainless steel impeller, possible salt water application.

CHEVYJEFF

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 5.0L Mercruiser Water Pump...HELP

I would get the marine pump, its suited more for marine apps. The auto pump will corrode faster and you will be doing job again. Some motors have a plastic timing chain cover which may not fit w/ an automotive pump. I got one for my 5.7 mercruiser off amazon and it was like 90.00 and bolted right up. I would change your thermostat and possibly your impellar in lower unit while your at it.