Starter Issues 4.3 Liter Merc

Trooper583

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys. Thanks for looking at this post and I appreciate your time. I was finally able to drag my 95 Rinker 212 Open Bow out to start the lake season. I put my batteries in that had been on a battery tender all winter. I also had them tested before at a local shop and they were showing good. When I hit the key, There is usually a hesitation and then the engine turns over about .5 to 1 revolutions. After I do this about three times I get the dreaded click from the starter.

As previously stated, my batteries are both good, and all of my connections are secure and clean. What gives? It started like a champ when I winterized it the year before.

Could this be a starter issue? Please help! I'm dying to do some skiing on Thursday!!!

Thanks

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Starter Issues 4.3 Liter Merc

How much oil did you put in cylinder when you winterized?
I guess the easy way is to pull the plug out and try and turn the motor over with the starter. If it turn fine you may have had water or oil in the cylinder. If it still does not turn over then check the voltage on the battery while starting because it sounds like a dead battery.

Next check voltage on both sides of the starter solenoid.

Make sure the batteries post and cables are clean and tight.

Trooper583

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Had my batteries tested, they're both good. Pulled the plugs out to see what the starter would do with no compression on it. It did the same thing. Jumped a set of cables directly the starter and did the same thing. Took the starter to auto parts store and it was nearly completely locked up. I'll replace tommorow and re post. The fact that the starter was partially turning and displaying symptoms or a dead battery threw me for a loop.

Bondo

Staff member

Had my batteries tested, they're both good. Pulled the plugs out to see what the starter would do with no compression on it. It did the same thing. Jumped a set of cables directly the starter and did the same thing. Took the starter to auto parts store and it was nearly completely locked up. I'll replace tommorow and re post. The fact that the starter was partially turning and displaying symptoms or a dead battery threw me for a loop.

Ayuh,... It's Amazing sometimes,...
They can grind themselves into Dust, 'n still sorta work....

Trooper583

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just got the starter installed and I'm back up and running. I read somewhere on the internet where a guy said it was amazing how fast the engine starts with a fresh starter and he's right. The engine hadn't ran in about 6 months and all I did was bump the key and it fired right up like it was warm. Thanks for the input.