Seized lower unit drain plug - Alpha 1

Jetstreak

Cadet
I'm having no luck getting the lower unit gear lube drain plug out. I've tried hitting it with PB Blaster for days. Applied heat. Hit it with an impact driver until the head of the driver twisted around (Harbor Freight...so no surprised). Any guidance on how to get this thing out? Thanks.

Re: Seized lower unit drain plug - Alpha 1

Are you using the largest blade screwdriver that will fit on the drain plug, be surprised the difference in leverage.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

i would be careful with the heat trick, aluminum can get really funky if you smack it while hot

you are gonna need to very carefully grind out the slot in the plug deeper or maybe a new on perpendicular to the old beat up one and try the impact again - gonna take a fine grinder to do so - dremel style

fossill

Chief Petty Officer

I assume the drain plug is good and jimmied by now. Drill a hole through it and use an easy out if thats the case.

fishrdan

Admiral

Are you doing this on the boat or with the drive installed? It might be easier removing the stuck plug with the drive sitting on a work bench, then strap (ratchet strap) it down so it does not wiggle around.

See if you can find a BIG screw driver with a hex or squared off shaft (by the handle) that you can put a crescent wrench on, then use the crescent wrench to give the screw driver some turning force.

BTW, I've twisted off the HF impact driver bits before,,, that's HF for ya :rolleyes:

Jetstreak

Cadet

Yeah, my first effort was with a big screwdriver and crescent wrench. The drive is still installed on the boat. I'm wondering if I might locate a better quality impact driver. I'm nervous with using an easy out on it. My only experiences with them have been bad (motorcycle related). I'm just not sure what size to drill and which bit to use. Afraid of it expanding in the hole and somehow cracking the aluminum of the drive itself.

nola mike

Vice Admiral

I've had luck with putting a screwdriver on one side of the slot, holding it at an angle, and tapping it with a hammer. I've had a hard time keeping screwdrivers from popping out of the slot otherwise when trying to really crank on them...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

If tapping , hand impact, large screwdriver has not removed the plug, avoid drilling because of the magnet in the end of the plug. Remove the drive or just the lower unit and have a SS bolt welded to the plug.Remove bolt and plug as a unit.

Bondo

Staff member

If tapping , hand impact, large screwdriver has not removed the plug, avoid drilling because of the magnet in the end of the plug. Remove the drive or just the lower unit and have a SS bolt welded to the plug.Remove bolt and plug as a unit.

Ayuh,... If you've still wanta try a hand-impact, Sears is good enough tool for what yer doin'...

But I agree completely with BD,...
Drillin's a Bad idea, the magnet will fall into the gears...
weldin' another fastener to it might save it...

fossill

Chief Petty Officer

Never thought of that about drilling. Wouldnt welding risk melting the aluminum case?

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

time to pull the drive.lay it on side and get a cold chisel and start tapping anti clockwise.wear glasses 4 safety.if its still not gonna go, drill an 1/8 hole a 1/4 deep and either bang in a torx bit or allen key bit and turn.try not to drill right through plug then no swarf will get into drive

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

No, the short burst of heat actually loosens it,SS 3/8ths bolt, 2 short tacks , let cool , and remove,
ground lead to the bolt NOT THE OUTDRIVE CASE, hold bolt against the plug, hit it twice with the stinger and SS rod.

Pete104

Lieutenant

This has got to be an Alpha that has the "O-ring" vs. gasket on the plugs! Dumbest things ever. OMC did that back in the '70's. Then 25 years later Mercury says OK, go with it! Then does away with it.

mccrorytr

Cadet

If everything else has failed then I'd say just drill it. Be careful to get it centered. Worst case you would have to pull the lower case.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

You can`t drill it because some plugs have a magnet at the end, dislodge it and you need to disassemble the lower unit to remove it.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah, my first effort was with a big screwdriver and crescent wrench. The drive is still installed on the boat. I'm wondering if I might locate a better quality impact driver. I'm nervous with using an easy out on it. My only experiences with them have been bad (motorcycle related). I'm just not sure what size to drill and which bit to use. Afraid of it expanding in the hole and somehow cracking the aluminum of the drive itself.

I would try the hand impact, it is a great tool for things like this before drilling. But anyways, did you get her out yet?

Jetstreak

Cadet

Thanks for the intel, fellas. I have not been able to remove this thing. I had to give up Sunday evening, then leave for business Monday morning. I'm back home tomorrow. I tried two different impact drivers. Harbor Freights bits are a joke. I picked up a Craftsman. Still no luck. I tried drilling a ways in, not trying to go too far. I tapped in an ez out. It snapped. I tried taking a dremel tool to the head to carve out a better grab for the impact driver. No luck. So, I guess I'm at a point where I need to take the lower unit to someone and go with the weld a stud technique. I'm out of ideas at home. Anyone have a recommendation on who might be able to do this around Atlanta? I'm not even sure what type of shop to look for. Thanks.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

anyone with a ac welder can do it, might try an engine building shop , fence or railing company, etc.